Author Topic: First trackday advise - pics uploaded  (Read 12781 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
First trackday advise - pics uploaded
« on: July 16, 2013, 02:18:45 pm »
So got my first trackday booked on Saturday.
Anyone got any advise one what to take, what to keep an eye on and what tyre pressures to run?

Also any tips in general. There is also the weather which is set to be a scorcher I will only be takong one set of road tyres with me on the car which will be almost new yoko A539s are these likley to just fall apart. I dont have an oil temp guage but do have a pressure one is there a minimum pressure which would indicate over heating anything else I should watch in the heat??

It will be at castle coomb if any one was  wondering.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 08:00:25 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: First trackday advise
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 03:29:54 pm »
take plenty of water to drink!

Tyre pressure is a personal preference thing but you want to be looking at mid 20s really to start with.  Then lower or raise as you wish. 

Because of the heat you'll need to keep a very careful eye on your engine temp, your tyres will be OK but the car will get hot.  Usually you are looking at 20 minute sessions and then you & the car will need a rest.  It hot weather this will be lower, you'll know yourself when you've had enough and need a rest.

I don't think there's anything that'll catch you out, it's only a bit of fun don't forget, it's not Le Mans ;)

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:00:54 pm »
Always leave it in gear.  Your hand brake will loosen off when your rear brakes cool and likely send it rolling other wise.

Take it easy and build up speed.  Get your lines right first before piling on the speed. 

Make sure you do a warm up lap or two to get everything up to temp.  Short shifting a bit before using all the revs in later laps.

Make sure you do a cool down lap or two to get everything settled before pits.

Don't feel you have to use all the rev range and stress the car.  Short shifting by 500rpm most laps would be ok.

Offline Agent47

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:42:23 am »
I'd definitely advise a warm up lap or two, remember a very scary last corner incident on cold tyres a few years ago in a friends Alfa! What sort of day is it over at Coombe? Just a general track day or a club thing? Will be over that way and twiddling my thumbs most of Saturday, might come and have a watch.

Offline Matty!

• Members
  • G40 Clubsport Build / BMW M2
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:25:57 am »
All of the above^

Second of all HAVE FUN, drive to around 85% of your limit especially at first to get a feel how the car reacts, driving on track is a total different experience, and make sure you stay cool mentally,  dont be baited into tailgating ect, it just causes stress to you and other drivers.

You will love it :)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:30 am »
- Oil catch tank contents (on track they breathe a lot)
- Tyre wear / pressures, start at 26psi and check when you come off track what they are hot
- Oil temps, I usually stop when I'm at 120'C+ in the sump
- Keeping yourself cool, drive with the window cracked (if they allow) or vents on full blast!
- Half fill the tank MAX, anymore and they have a tendency to empty it onto your rear tyre

After the first session, I'd come back in, check the above and wonder about, they're supposed to be fun!

No on expects you to be quick in a Polo- which can be frustrating, but great fun at the same time  ;D

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 11:35:02 am »
Thanks for all the information guys, I will ensure I do all of the above, Yoof do you mean half fill the petrol tank yea?

Its a VW Audi day and if any one is in the area come on down there's some other stuff going on few stalls and a show and shine usually I wanted to have a go last year but the car wasn't ready so I thought it would be rude not to !

Really looking forward to it now!! I will hopefully get some pictures and report back on sunday

Offline JoeH

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 09:00:37 pm »
Defo get some pics Anthony, there is barely any of your car on the forum, and you've posted more than most!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 10:21:13 pm »
Defo get some pics Anthony, there is barely any of your car on the forum, and you've posted more than most!

Got lots of pics on my computer keep meaning to write a build thread but never get round to it maybe oneday !!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:01:09 am »
One more thing is a towing eye required as I cant find mine!! Also anyone know what thread they are looks to be m12 but super coarse pitch as ive got a towing eye from a golf I can make an adaptor to fit if I know the thread.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 10:04:43 am »
You'll be told to put one on, not sure if they'd refuse to let you on track for not having one though, it's more so they don't fuck your car up if they have to drag you off the track then anything else as far as I'm aware. 

Not sure on the thread pitch but to complicate things more, some polos have a right hand thread and some have a left hand thread, seems fairly random. 

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 11:02:35 am »
If you don't have one in, and go in the gravel trap, they'll drag you out by any means possible, usually a wheel, although wing mirrors, wipers etc all become fair game.  :D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 11:04:49 am »

Buy one of these, it lets everyone know how race spec you are  ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 12:12:46 pm »
haha... or you could go for the honda look:

Antony, use mine mate. Will pop it round tomorrow evening. Also you wanna use my gopro for video? Also if you really want to i could lend you my pro stepper oil temp gauge.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 12:12:51 pm »
you could do but you'd then look like a massive twat :D