Author Topic: Private Plates - How the hell does it work?  (Read 2427 times)

Offline superchargedpolo

• Members
Private Plates - How the hell does it work?
« on: December 04, 2008, 08:08:16 pm »
Can anyone help on this one.

I am looking at getting a private reg for the G.  There is a chap selling a suitable plate on ebay and he says that all the fees are included and the plate is currently on retention.
Does that mean that he just signs me over a piece of paper and I can get it swapped onto the G?  Surely I would have to pay some sort of fee and what the hell does the bit of paper look like.  Am completely clueless on this one.

Cheers in advance
Craig

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Private Plates - How the hell does it work?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:50:29 pm »
You normally pay £80 to retain a registration from a car, this is the fee which will cover application onto another vehicle. He will have a registration certificate which will be sold to you.

Offline jimbugalee

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 08:34:32 am »
That guy has paid £25 to keep the plate on 'retention'.  This is much easier than him having it on his car and then swapping to you. 

You'll then have to apply to the DVLA £80 to transfer it into your car (instructions on the back).  They sort it all out, send you a new tax disk etc.  I would get the plates made up for when it comes through and don't forget to change your insurance like I did!!!!

Offline Gary

• Members
  • just one last thing....
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2008, 04:48:36 pm »
If the plate is already on retention then the £80 transfer fee will have been paid. When you stick it on retention you pay £105. This is £80 to cover the transfer onto the next vehicle and £25 to keep it on retention for a year, each year it is on retention you will need to pay the £25 for the privilege.

What the guy will have to do is to change the nominee's details from his to yours the plate will then be yours!

Offline superchargedpolo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 06:49:32 pm »
Okay, cool, thanks for that.

Just need to make up my mind if it's worth the money now.

G 14DER ..........Hmmmmmmm?

Craig