Author Topic: Emptying Brake Fluid??  (Read 2230 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Emptying Brake Fluid??
« on: January 22, 2012, 01:15:25 am »
Howdy... got new brake set up for the black g and gone t comin to drain the system and.nothing is coming out of the rears... got maybe 100ml out each front brake but  nothing from the rears... It has axle stands under the axle so bias valve should not be a factor although I could not establish how it actually works to completely rule it out... The spring is slack at present and has about 1-2cm of free play...

Any thoughts? I cant confirm that the resevoir was full upon starting vut have no reason for it to be otherwise as I have not drained any previously and I am not aware of any leaks... Target is mot next week so swift pointers would be splendid!!

Will try an easy bleed system.with no fluid tomo...

Cheers

Ad

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Emptying Brake Fluid??
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:12:51 am »
you need to push old fluid out wiht the new.

also you need to pull the compensator spring down and clamp it so its open

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 10:31:28 am »
Aghh right I see... is there any logical way to determine when.you are through to new fluid? I cant say from what came out of the fronts that the colour is too different...

Should the.compensator valve be able to be pulled down with mole grips or would it make more.sense to move the axle stands off the beam and let the beam do the work??

Off to pick.up replacement steering arms then back on with missions!

Cheers for your wise words as usual Pete!

Ad

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:23 am »
i ususally clamp with moleys.

normally new fluid is nice and clear, old is minging looking.  a litre should do the full system with and eezibleed.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2012, 01:53:03 am »
Cool didnt get on to it today thanks to other missions... steering arms, tca's, subby, dizzy issues, thermostat housing... fun times!

256mm vaux cali's should be here tomo so can crack on again tomo!!

Ad

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 07:44:25 am »
How much would you be expecting to be able to pull the spring down... from what I could see I could stretch the spring around 1cm but it didnt seem to move anything else? Wondering if my mechanism might be kaput but cant really see how it works as the bracket that the spring attaches to does not look like it can pivot... probably a case of me being simple and working on my car when I should be asleep!!

Cheers

Ad