Author Topic: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...  (Read 6458 times)

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« on: August 08, 2008, 12:16:49 am »
just seeing some adverts and i think there has to be a limit, i mean a low milage minter has always been around the 3 4k mark, they just cant get more surely? i just seen one for £4500 and to be honest that cant ever sell, even if it is modified etc, the costs just cant be passed through...

bit of a strange one really, as i look at that and then another, not as modifed, but much cheaper, and think you have to be crazy to spend that money on a g40!!!!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2008, 09:30:07 am »
depends on re-sprays etc etc.  Take a cheapo one at 1k, add a respray - £1500, charger rebuild £500, new tyres £200, cambelt £50 and you are at £3250 without looking at interior, wheel refurb etc. etc.

so it depends what condition you want one really.

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2008, 10:06:12 am »
i seen one sell about 2yrs ago for about 5.5K. But that was a 180BHP VW factory car there was only 10 RHD ones left the factory and it had only done 30K. Still a bit steep like.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:00 am »
i've been into g's for ages (8 years) and never heard of that one. any details/pics?
There was a vw motorsport one- but that was a fake, tat ridden thing

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2008, 10:30:08 am »
180bhp factory car?  I hope you're not taking about that "VW Motorsport" one that seems to pop up on ebay for a stupid amount every year or so?  That's a right load of bollocks.

I agree with pete in that it'd cost more than 4500 to take a knackered g40 and make it really good but at the same time, I wouldn't spend £4.5k all at once on a mk3 polo.

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2008, 12:27:44 pm »
you's are probably right. it was a couple of years ago i seen it on ebay

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2008, 12:47:49 pm »
I picked up my G just over a year ago on 38k full service history etc... 2 owners last one for 13years
for less than £3k... shes about to get £2k thrown at her just to get exactly how i want it! For me its a car i have no intention of selling! £5k well spent in my eyes! Served me well so far... done 13k in it since a picked it up! not pleased bout that but hey its there to be driven!!!
A cars worth what its worth to an individual! iirc sure some guy was looking for £10k for a turbo'd one a while ago... now thats steep!

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 10:19:52 pm »
As far as I know mine and Phils are the highest price Gs I have come across. Although thats just in the last few years. When they were 'new cars' I am not sure.

My 1341 G was bought for £3500 and had every part of the engine upgraded.
I since added Emerald, Subframe, H&R Kit, a 7-Point SD Cage, refurb'd seats and thats just the major stuff.

Buy a G40 for 5k? Probably not.
Buy a G for 2k and spend 3k on it - Quite Probable.

Offline Tav

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: i wonder what the most a g40 will go for...
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 12:24:08 pm »
[quote pid=3146 author=giorgio date=1218230392]As far as I know mine and Phils are the highest price Gs I have come across. Although thats just in the last few years. When they were 'new cars' I am not sure.

My 1341 G was bought for £3500 and had every part of the engine upgraded.
I since added Emerald, Subframe, H&R Kit, a 7-Point SD Cage, refurb'd seats and thats just the major stuff.
[/quote]

How are you getting on with trying to sell it at that price?

Is the cage a complete one from a cup car?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Believe a certain green one went for approx £8k last time it changed hands.

Offline Tav

• Members
It's a joke..none of the high price G40's I have seen seem to be worth it at all.

jonboy

the thing that puzzles me is that a majority of the really expensive g40s seem to be fairly modified, now if i were to spend over 3k on a g40 I would want its to be totally stock, mint and original, as crazy as that sounds.  Instead i spent £1300 on a reasonably clean one, that way i dont feel so bad about playing around with it

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Like anything they are worth what you want to pay. If you can get someone to spend £5k then good luck to you.

Buying a pre-modded G is easily the cheapest way to a real quick car. If I had the history of the mods and a little bit of knowledge of the car I wouldn't have an issue buying one that was far from stock.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
there are some crazy g40 prices around at minute!

it really is weird, people just think figures up when selling!

Offline Packer_81

• Members
  • Tony p
I don't think id ever sell mine,there a classic.Increasing in vaule every year