Author Topic: where am i going wrong?  (Read 5390 times)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
where am i going wrong?
« on: September 01, 2008, 04:28:47 pm »
Ok right..i seem to be getting raped on insurance costs left right and centre..

Im 24 nearly 25 i want to insure a standard g40 for social domestic and pleasure and comuting, im employed full time as a teacher and the best quote i got so far was with adrian flux 3rd party in my name with a cat1 thatcham approved alarm on it was 630 quid!

Now for my age i would expect much cheaper by now..i dont have any no claims bonus because the premiums have been so high for so long!  i've been driving 6 and a half years now and have 3 points. so these must be taken into consideration.

what pisses me off is there are younger kids getting insurance for half the price on limited power policies on modified g40's!

its not like i live in an awful are either?

what companies are you lot trying? and what sort of prices are you paying?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:29:23 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 04:32:43 pm »
that does seem very high, they always say with insurance 25 is the important number, but hell i still seem to think im paying too much

just over half what your paying, and fully comp lol and modified high spec!

ring again and ask, they must have made a mistake seriously...

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 04:35:32 pm »
[quote pid=3710 author=DKnight date=1220283163]that does seem very high, they always say with insurance 25 is the important number, but hell i still seem to think im paying too much

just over half what your paying, and fully comp lol and modified high spec!

ring again and ask, they must have made a mistake seriously...[/quote]

nah every where is the same.  just got a quote direct line online!  50 odd quid a month champion! fully comp until i relised they had the car wrong it was a cl.  changed to g40...cannot insure!

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:39:31 pm »
That does seem a bit high for your age, i have two claims an 1yrs no claims at 22, it comes out at £695 with bell insurance and thats TPFT.

I did find it quite hard to get another company anywhere close to that price however it was only due to the 2 claims, without them it was around the £600 mark.

There is another strategy you could try, i put my mother down as a additional driver, she has been driving for years with no claims etc, an it brought the majority of quotes down by between £100 - £200.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:43:08 pm by wozzaG40 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 04:50:37 pm »
having no no-claims bonus is going to be hurting you big time.  you'd be getting about 50% discount if you had the 6 years no claims with most companies I reckon.

Also, what is the area you live in like?  If it's a "high risk" postcode then that affects insurance by loads.  

Have you tried Brentacre?  They are the cheapest I tried for me.  I don't think Adrian Flux liked my postcode as they were about £100 more.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 05:12:39 pm »
my postcode covers a huge area which includes a really bad area which means the cock suckers who can't even be arsed to work and would rather smash our cars up live near by sharing our postcode so yes thats a big factor but i dont get how it effects so much and people elsewhere get unlimited bhp limits on their policies...i wouldnt even mention ported charger on my quotes.

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 05:20:17 pm »
i currently pay 60 quid a month..thats third party fire and theft in my mothers name so im a named driver with her no claims on.  surely thats ridiculous. its due in feb

i got a quote on a 83 golf cl with coilovers declared with lancaster insurance fully comp for 270!  so the car plays a big role.  is it true when your 25 you can drive cars 3rd party on a fully comp policy?

golf fully comp...270 quid per annum and drive g40 on that policy?can anyone confirm this?

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 05:54:16 pm »
yep just got a quote.  293 quid with 1 year added to my age so im 25 (just to see if i can get 3rd party on another car at that age), fully comp with my girlfriend on the poilcy too and i can drive another car 3rd party? with coilovers declared?  this is on a 1983 1.3 golf. what a difference!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 05:55:00 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 05:56:55 pm »
Yep on my fully comp policy, i can drive other cars with 3rd party only cover as long as you have the owners permission, the other car is not registered to yourself and there is already another policy for that car.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 06:00:50 pm »
No NCB and a dodgy postcode.... :scyth:

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 06:08:17 pm »
yeah I can drive other cars that aren't owned by me and I'm not paying to hire, third party only.

A golf cl is going to be a much lower group than a G40.  I don't think you've got much choice other than to put up with it till your 25 and have built up some no claims.  That's the problem with not being on your own insurance, when you do decide to go on your own you'll pay over the odds because you'll have no NCB.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 07:14:43 pm »
Its not that bad to say you have no no claims and seem to have a dodgy postcode. I pay just over £400 and that is garaged on limited mileage, I have 9 years no claims and am an old git of 29 (was 28 when I got the policy). I think that is expensive . Pete has had the same problem recently, couldnt seem to get his down under £400 and his is bone stock.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: where am i going wrong?
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 07:20:37 pm »
insurance is one big joke really, i been driving 9 years, im 27, no claims, no points, nothing, i pay £400 odd a year to make one phone call, and what happens if someone with no insurance hits me? i get nothing, its totally flawed the whole insurance set up, its easier to drive with no insurance and pay the fine, really it is!