Author Topic: Exploded drawing of a G40 Charger  (Read 2852 times)

Offline JregGT

• Members
Exploded drawing of a G40 Charger
« on: August 11, 2010, 08:03:38 pm »
Well i picked up my new engine last night, and the route of the problems relate to the charger, it continues to blow an oil seal, i'm not sure how many miles its done since or when it was last serviced. If anyone has and exploded drawing and doesn't mind posting it, that would be brilliant. I'd just like an idea of what i'm looking at. Been looking at quite alot of posts and found some extremely useful information already.

Thanks in advance everyone

Rich

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Exploded drawing of a G40 Charger
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 12:09:46 pm »
think i know the charger - ben's.  I serviced it and have been inside it about 3 times.  I first saw it with bits missing etc!!! but when first serviced was a nice little unit!

Seemed like a good unit, but started to blow scroll seals for fun (same one!)- which can happen for a number of reasons
1. High oil pressure - (breather blocked/oil drain blocked etc)
2. Poorly fitted seal (not in straight)
3. worn seal housing.

The seal housing seemed ok - not scored or oversized, but still they blew and normally only at small 4

I offered to replace the seal (with uber high strength seal bonder) and try it on my car - and if it went would probably due to the housing being worn and therefore needing a new scroll - or to be sleaved.

Hope this is useful.

In next month or so, I'll be doing a full rebuild article with photos.  Watch this space

Pete

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 06:49:22 pm »
Hi Pete, yep thats the one, thanks for the info, i'm finding the site, and quite a few of your posts useful. How long ago was it that you serviced it? That provides me with a bit if confidence that it looks to be a reasonable, how much of a service did it have??

Thanks for the info, its exactly the sort of stuff i'm looking to find out. I've already pin pointed your username on my ever growing list questions to ask! In theory I should be able to get some super sealant stuff, as my cousin works for Henkel, who owns Loctite, so should be able to source me something strong.

You've put my mind at ease, that it may not be a whole new charger thats needed, your rebuild article will be brilliant, i'm sure for many.

Thanks for the reply Pete

Rich  :)

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:31:04 pm »
it was serviced last winter - can't have done that many miles - had bearings, oil seals and apex seals changed - basically the full service.

Offline JregGT

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:55:07 pm »
Thanks very much for that Pete, you've taken a load of my mind. I'm busy next couple of weeks with work etc before i can start to have a decent looksy at the engine and get started. But i will certainly be in touch with you.

Thanks once again Pete.

Rich