Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »
Thought i'd say Hi,

I'm new to the forum and G40's, been a vw nut most my life tho. I have a dilema and thought maybe some of you guys could help?

I'm currently running a mk3 golf 16v. Its nice but getting a bit shagged now. I also have a T4 with an almost complete campervan conversion. The camper will be sold upon completion and the golf around the same time. I've been planning on getting a G40, the only thing stopping me is that i have a 3yr old boy and another in the post (actually due today!!). Can somebody please confirm that its ok to run such a small car as a daily with two little 'uns. I do also plan on getting a T25 Syncro to run alongside and to take care of family days out but this would have to wait a while.

My only other option would be a 'rrado G60, but the increased running costs( ???) would make it difficult to jusify the syncro.

Any thought welcome

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:57:39 pm »
i would think it would be ok as long as its serviced regulary and you learn to not get to excited with the throttle when the new born is with you. i run about 400 miles a week to and from work, this is only summer use as stay in north scotland and the rust bug would try to attack it in the winter. cheaper to run than a raddo but not as safe if you were in a crash.

Offline samg40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:34 pm »
Hi there and welcome.

I'm not sure I'd want to be putting two kids in the back of a Mk3 Polo repeatedly. They aren't the roomiest of cars tbh. I'd rather get a Mk2 Golf in that position I think, probably a 5 door. Bigger boot for all the kiddy related paraphernalia too.

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 01:38:33 pm »
Thanks for your comments,

The three door thing doesnt bother me, I've actually managed to convince the mrs its safer as no one can get to kiddies and doors cant be accidentally opened.I was hoping that a g40 would try to snap my neck daily on route to work but be quite happy pootling(?) about giving 35-40mpg when carrying kids. I've wanted a g40 for ages now, so with this in mind I think the best thing would be to get one and if its too small for our needs i can always sell on and go for 'rrado/golf again.
When i had my first kid i had a polo gti which was no problem as far as space goes,just lacked in power.

What sort of mpg do you return on your 400 mile week?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 02:02:36 pm »
i never get below 30mpg in mine and on a run i get over 40 (as a stock car) and they are nice to drive daily if your journey isnt stop start! then they can be a bit boring as not that comfy or well ventilated etc.

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:45:58 pm »
Nice, thanks again.

With that in mind if anyone has one tucked away somewhere and cant decide wether to sell or not, maybe want it to go to right person, give me a shout. Im an O.E+ kinda guy,nothing pains me more than to see a ruined classic dub. I'm not ready to purchase yet though as the T4 and golf both need to sold 1st, looking to buy in the next month or so :)

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 10:20:42 am »
well last week i put £45 of fuel in the car ( which didnt fill it) @1.17 a liter, went to fill up today again another 45 and i got 356miles and it wasnt on the red. and my to and from work is a twisty 70mile a day round trip. i get called a nut by some people i pass everyday. but thats just cos they cant drive.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:27 pm »
^ Roughly 42mpg  :)

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 08:03:21 pm »
Nice, good work. My mind is definitley made up, cant wait to get my T4 finished and sold to free up some cash. So thats good MPG, i assume they qualify for cheap road tax with 'em being a 1300?And classic insurance aswell!!

Out of interest, i love the caddy wheels i've seen on one or two g40's, Is there an outer rim wheel trim attached to these? Everytime i see a caddy the wheels don't look the same?

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:09 pm »
Sorry to be Mr Doom & Gloom but I would not put 2 babies in a Mk3 Polo.

Can get a ford focus for 1k. Much safer, more comfortable, more space, more reliable and decent mpg.

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 09:11:03 pm »
Woah mate, no need to throw ford in there. Things will never be that bad. If anyone ever sees me drivin a focus kill me.Lol.

I hear you buddy,it's a tough call,only 10-15 years ago no-one would bat an eyelid. I pride myself on safe driving with little un on board and I know i cant account for knob heads on the road. And it may sound like im making excuses but i live in a fairly small village and rarely go much further with kiddy on board and for the times i do they'll hopefully be safely wrapped up in 2 ton of T25 syncro.

Thanks for comment :)

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 09:44:47 pm »
dont rate t25's as a safe vehicle mate. just search on youtube for t25 crash test

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 10:49:28 pm »
I'm with giorgio on this one. Mk3 Polo's fold up like tin foil in an accident, they are basically an Audi 50 under the skin.
Lance is right too, the T25 is another very old design. Being heavy doesn't mean it's strong, as the Youtube clip shows.
Modern cars like the Focus are great cars for everyday use - boring yeah - but they are a far safer, more comfortable and practical place to be in with your kids. 

Offline Gumby80

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »
ok,fair point guys.i'm a complete vag slag tho.shame cos i cant afford to run a g40 as a 2nd fun car.i've had a mk4 golf before and really didn't rate it,however i loved my polo gti[despite lack of power and girly seats],think this could be the compromise im looking for.i appreciate everyones honesty i wer expecting lots of encouragement  for the g40.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:49 am »
Supercharge the Polo GTI ;D

I'd go with what you like ultimately. I was carried round in a mini, a fiat panda and a ford Ka for 15 yrs of my childhood, as you say 15 yrs ago it was normality.

Thinking about it with all the other cars on the road being softer nowadays you'd technically be safer driving one around now than when they were released!