Author Topic: Steering Clonk  (Read 2992 times)

Offline fil_rite13

• Members
Steering Clonk
« on: September 20, 2009, 06:52:09 pm »
Only noticed this today on the way home from Players. When turning right (not full lock) there is a slight clonk and then when the cars straighted up it clonks again. The noise is also there when turning left but not as loud. Could this be top mounts/arb movement or possibly the springs moving?

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: Steering Clonk
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 10:29:17 pm »
could it be cv boot

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2009, 03:52:16 pm »
Do you have an LSD fitted mate?

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2009, 09:19:24 pm »
A few suggestions:

CV Joint (the boot is only the rubber gaiter that covers it)?
Any sign of the steering arm or any other moving parts knocking on anything when turning the wheel?
Check your bushes as well.

Offline fil_rite13

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2009, 11:07:09 am »
No LSD fitted, i'm thinking it could be a CV joint as it does clonk rather loudly on full lock. Getting the car up on the ramps Thursday so will check the steering parts are not fouling anything and can also inspect the bushes.

Offline fil_rite13

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 08:30:36 pm »
Had the car on the ramps tonight, suspect seized top mount on the nearside. Dry as a bone underneath so will do a search for part numbers now  :-\

Offline fil_rite13

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 07:05:48 pm »
I am a complete bell end!

20 days ago my brother came to visit, was out out in the Polo and filled up with V-power, he went in and bought two tins of drink, i never drank it and didn't seem to recall seeing it until now!

Found a tin of this underneath the passenger seat as i lost a packet of chewing gum so put my hand down there to feel for it. Its been there all this time bouncing off the seat runners hence the noise  ::) Yes i did road test it afterwards and the clonk has vanished  :D

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 07:30:48 pm »
So there's hope for me after all. Nice one mate and nice when you've got the balls to be able to laugh at yourself.