Author Topic: what power can standard clutches take?  (Read 2678 times)

Offline g40chris

• Members
what power can standard clutches take?
« on: October 18, 2009, 09:42:36 pm »
im thinking of trying out a standard clutch as my helix one is horrible to use.

where is best place to get one and how much should i expect to pay?

what power can they handle?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: what power can standard clutches take?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »
Standard clutchs usually good for no more than 20% power increase. About 140 bhp at most in the G. If the Helix is ceramic they're not best for the road as you will know, but I think Helix do an uprated standard type as well; priced about £200 if I remember right.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 09:01:17 pm »
standard clutch will take 170 bhp and possibly more, they just wear out quicker at that level.  Plus it depends on your driving style, if you're doing track days then the standard clutch prob wont last five mins.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 10:40:03 pm »
just want one for everyday driving really, only been on strip 3 times in 8 years with it and no track days. getting older now and want and easier car to drive about as i find the helix ceramic clutch jerky and very low biting point. which i thnk may put people off the car if otherwise interested in buying it.

how much do standard clutches go for. what clutch parts will i need

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 11:05:11 pm »
Go for a organic clutch, i got one on mine which runs fine, its basically an uprated version of the standard one. Do a search for my posts as i posted some details about the one i bought.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »
aye that may be the one i got, it was either organic or ceramic from PSD i cant remember. maybe it has been fitted slightly wrong on mine :(

does anyone know what kind PSD used to sell. i know it was helix

Offline Varley

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2009, 01:04:10 am »
Helix do a ceramic and an organic lining versions which is what PSD used to sell, I think the linings are interchangable but might be wrong.

I've got the organic lined one on the basis it was meant to be easier to live with day to day and I honestly couldn't tell any difference at all in jerkiness or smoothness from a standard one but it's a bit heavier in stop start traffic, but only just.

It's done about 10k running 150bhp+ and no sign of slip, time will tell though I guess.

Bought it for peace of mind really...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2009, 09:52:54 am »
maybe your main problem is just a too low bite point?  Assuming you have a manually adjustable clutch cable fitted, just adjust it to raise the point, it'll probably make things nicer for day to day driving.  If you have an auto-adjust cable (with no nut on the end of it to adjust) then throw it in the bin and get a manual one as they are much better.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 06:39:17 pm »
im sure there is 2 small nuts on the end of mine. do i need to screw threm in or out to raise the biting point. does feel jerky all the way through the biting point

Offline paulg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »
I used to run 174 BHP with a standard clutch on mine and that included many trips up the santapod strip and many miles (60,000) and even when I sold the engine it was still going strong and no slip. It wasn't the best on the drag strip and I am sure a performance clutch would have helped my times a little but for daily driving the standard is more than up for 170BHP. :-)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 02:40:07 pm »
yeah it was your car I was thinking of when I replied about the standard one taking 170bhp+ earlier in this thread :D

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • GT40 - AE86C
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:29:18 am »
im sure there is 2 small nuts on the end of mine. do i need to screw threm in or out to raise the biting point. does feel jerky all the way through the biting point

You have to screw them out to raise it.