Author Topic: whats next for more power  (Read 6150 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: whats next for more power
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2009, 09:33:31 pm »
Many of the 1341cc rebuilds are just running on generic 'safe' maps though - once custom mapped they start to make the power. The closer to stock the cars are, the easier it is to find a generic chip (with few map changes from stock) that works very well. There are a hell of a lot of G40s with big spec lists that never get the final setup done, and don't make the power people expect.

A 2.5" system isn't going to lose you any power on a forced induction setup Nick, but a 2.25" system probably wouldn't be too restrictive either.

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2009, 09:34:46 pm »
Yes, doesnt help when the cam isnt correctly timed, probably why many didnt get the power they wanted. Sometimes they work better with other mods such as ported head, bigger valves etc.

Nick, i think 2.25" O/D is about as big as you need to go on a G40 exhaust.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:45:38 pm »
Aye make sense about that final timing tweek for top power. Jabba's car would have had access to the dyno, so would have been optimum at its time a few years ago. You don't see that many people properly dialing in their new cam setups with a vernier and most RR dyno runs are fairly expensive time/labour wise for mapping side of things.

I was thinking 2.25" for a downpipe back exhaust system, is that what you have had on yours now Dan?

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:14:19 pm »
Mine isn't ready to go in for it to be made, yet. Will be soon. I've got an oe de-cat downpipe, cut the 1.75" straight piece off and cut it back to allow to merge into 2.25" pipe (which I have). I did this so I get the system made to the correct size downpipe.

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2009, 11:55:36 am »

The right cam profile to suit any cylinder head work carried is key, and might be a reason why some of the 1341 cars are not getting higher figures.

Thats pretty much spot on. Steve and Liam had to develop new cams for the Accralite 1341's. Running a standard cam on 1341 lead to very high EGT's. Combination of high CR and mild cam wasn't very successful

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2009, 01:39:00 pm »
Combination of mild cam, high CR and lots of ignition advance in the map wasn't very successful. If you take timing out the map you can get a 1341cc with high CR to run nicely and keep temps down on a stock head and mild cam.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2009, 02:10:50 pm »
I actually broke Chris Roebuck's old blue G40 a few years ago, after Simon Bond had owned it inbetween. I still have the cylinder head from it on my spare engine :) The headwork was port & polished by Jabba and iirc it had a Schrick 268/268 cam in it too.

sounds about right

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2009, 05:03:03 pm »
Nick- a 2.5" system won't lose you any power at all, also future proofs your system for any future mods.

It goes without saying that camshaft choice should be matched to head modifications and type of aspiration, but a stock G40 cam can be used sucesfully on a 1341cc providing the car is mapped to suit.

As with any modification the key is the mechanical setup and ecu calibration, hence why some cars be they 1272cc, 1341cc or 1478cc produce less than what they should.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2009, 05:41:01 pm »
ill see what my 1341 makes on dta with a trigger wheel.

Offline bbvw

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2009, 11:08:49 am »
hey guys i started this post and i forgot to put down on the mod list that i had custom map at jabba sport do you think i should have had got more power out of the mods i have? have i done something wrong?

thanks  :)