Author Topic: GT to G40 swap, problems continuing...  (Read 3063 times)

Offline jooshy63

• Members
GT to G40 swap, problems continuing...
« on: May 08, 2011, 05:01:27 pm »
Alright guys, in need of some help please.
Just finished swapping the G40 into the GT, all wires are connected but there's no spark and no fuel pump going on turn over. The fuel pumps the GT one, haven't swapped them over and I have no idea why there's no spark. Any help would be much appreciated as I need it back on the road for tomorrow.
Cheers, Josh.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 06:15:24 pm by jooshy63 »

Offline samg40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: GT to G40 swap, no spark or fuel
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 10:17:55 pm »
Try swapping the plug into the coil around with the plug that will be next to it that plugs into another plug (if that makes sense). If they are the wrong way round it wont start, this has happened many times before.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 07:56:11 am »
also did you put the wiring in with a replacement fuse box too? check the plugs in the back are all fitted correctly, ive seen the same problem where they are not in right causing this same issue.

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 04:20:27 pm »
Now sorted, thanks guys, new problem though.
Had to replace the dizzy off the GT on to the G40, car starts fine but sounds like an absolute tractor and running rough as anything. Any answers?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 04:51:26 pm »
do the ignition timing? has it been set?

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 11:02:53 am »
Yep, cheers again Pete, it was the timing, only problem now is, the oil pressure light is on a constant flash and a small oil leak coming from the oil return on the charger?
 May have also possibly tightened the bolt up to much as it's not threading properly, so I'm after a either a new one, or a slightly longer one?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 11:50:58 am »
you'll have stripped the thread in the soft aluminium charger casing, it'll have to be helicoiled :(

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 12:28:42 pm »
yeah probably. Agree with mr hayes.

Its an m10 fine pitch and you'll need to be very careful you dont get swarf down the hole or it'll go straight into your charger bearings.  Ideally you'd do it with the charger apart and bearings out.

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 01:57:25 pm »
Ahhh great  :-\
So you guys reckon this could be why the oil lights flashing?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »
doubt it, more likely a dodgy oil pressure sensor or the sensors connected the wrong way round

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2011, 03:53:18 pm »
check you've got the copper washers on the banjo of the feed - one on each side too

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2011, 02:15:11 pm »
So I've had a look at the thread and there's still a good couple of 2mm left of the thread. I'm thinking, is there a banjo bolt I can get that's slightly longer, this way it will save me having to take the charger out and retapping it as I'm not all that confident in doing that to be honest.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2011, 02:19:03 pm »
if there's only 2mm of thread it's not going to hold.  an engineering shop should be able to helicoil it for you.  If the oil supply fails when you are driving the car it's bye-bye supercharger time!

Offline jooshy63

• Members
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2011, 04:33:06 pm »
Right, so here's how it stands at the moment, the chargers being sent off to be helicoiled tomorrow by a local engineering firm.
 I decided yesterday to get the car off my nans drive and keep it outside my own for the time being, only a couple of hundred yards down the road. Apart from the slight oil leak from the banjo bolt, I assumed the car would be all ok. Upon starting, the car began misfiring again and after letting off hard throttle, would cut out. The amount of black smoke leaving the car is ridiculous and I originally thought this would clear up. I continued to drive the car down the road for it to then begin kangooring or stuttering and under hard throttle, would have no boost whatsoever. I was then flashed by my mate behind me, pulled over and found that around the area where I gave it hard throttle, a huge puddle of oil had been dumped. Upon inspection, I could not seem to find where it had come from whatsoever purely down to the fact the whole underneath of the engine was covered.
 Any ideas guys, I'm at my wits end with this now and considering taking it to a garage to get sorted.  ???

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2011, 07:02:42 pm »
Might be worth doing a compression test?

A few things to check :p

You said it sounded like a tractor, do you mean the exhaust is leaking or just the way it's running?

Are there any knocking noises from anywhere or tapping?

Any oil leaking out of anywhere? Can you smell it as you drive? Perhaps some is being squirted/dripped on the exhaust somewhere?

Most importantly, was the engine running alright before it was removed from the other car?