Author Topic: Water pump gasket sealing possibilities?  (Read 2669 times)

Offline sparkz786

• Members
Water pump gasket sealing possibilities?
« on: July 08, 2014, 04:41:36 pm »
Hi guys, fitted a new water pump to my non running g at the time, i got it running and after 8-10 starts to temperature, the water pump started leaking. There is no play in the pump itself and it is now removed.

I have a New o-ring,
What i am thinking is to buy gasket paper and make a gasket instead of using the red gasket sealant which i used plenty of last time !
Which thickness of paper is best for this and should i se the sealant aswell as the gasket? Cheers! From a g owner who cant wait to get it ready and on the road :(

Offline randombadger69

• Members
Re: Water pump gasket sealing possibilities?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:14:59 pm »
I can't see an o-ring sealing against gasket paper. What is the face on the block like?

I always use a Stanley blade to clean any corrosion and old rubber off the face, to ensure a good seal. Of course if there is heavy pitting on this face then it'll probably leak anyway.

As for the pipe behind the water pump, I always use red sealant on both faces with a paper gasket.

Offline samg40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 05:45:31 pm »
I've never used any sealant on the water pump. As long as the surface on the block is clean it seals fine with just the o-ring.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:40:52 pm by SamG40 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:25:54 pm »
True...  also the pump bolts arent tight at all 20nm or something!  Over tighten could break the seal.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:18 pm »
Ive used both and never experienced leaking from the seal/gasket.

I have had the pump leaking internally, took it to vw and they said it was a faulty pump. If it was new and you still for the receipt take it back, as long as its within 12 months.

Offline sparkz786

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 01:39:29 am »
Okay brilliant! Thanks for the swift replies guys! No gasket on the water pump it is! The block is clean! No pitting or markings. Will razor both block and oump anyway and fingers crossed no more leaks! Thanks again guys!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 09:59:36 am »
Loctite 5699 grey gasket maker is water glycol resistance, this is what im using.

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 10:42:56 am »
If it was new and you still for the receipt take it back, as long as its within 12 months.

If it was from VW then it's 24 months warranty on parts iirc.

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 01:51:25 pm »
I've never used any sealant on the water pump. As long as the surface on the block is clean it seals fine with just the o-ring.

Didn't use any sealant with mine either and its a good seal. Again, just make sure the block is clean and the o-ring is new.