Author Topic: mazda rx8  (Read 5280 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
mazda rx8
« on: June 15, 2010, 10:02:07 pm »
im currently thinking of getting a mazda rx8 , dont suppose any ones had one or diven one knows a litle about them maybe anything to look for or any of there major failings. i dont do alot of miles mainly around town realy few long runs to london every now and looking for a nice daily driver thats a bit more modern and ncie to drive than my current banger ! im after rear wheel drive and ive always fancyed somthing with a wankle engine.
   what do you guys think you can pick up low milage 40-50k ones 53 plate for 3-4k . also slightly worried if i get one it will be faster and nicer to drive than my g will be and it will end up getting mothballed and then eventualy sold and ive put so much work in i realy dont wanna do that!
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 10:09:33 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline gti jack

• Members
Re: mazda rx8
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 11:07:38 pm »
i got over took by someone in a black rx8 today and he waved as he went by, so i thought TWAT! im not letting him get away with that and as soon as he was just about to pull in i floored it in 3rd and overtook him whilst he was still going for gold. now i hate rx8's lol
my g is 171hp and the mazda wasnt faster but it all depends on what your running, i will never sell my g for the reason i just mentioned, i think there brilliant fun and the looks on pepoles faces is just priceless
i do like a bit of comfort now and then tho  :-\

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:02 pm »
I've heard the RX8 is crap on fuel. Most are only owned for 1-2 years with each owner!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 07:12:33 am »
If you're doing short journeys, an RX-8 really isn't for you...

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:06:42 am »
Doesn't sound to promising then realy ! I did see they have got crap fuel economy. Maybe I should try an older diesel Beemer.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 08:10:58 am »
Guy at work had one and couldn't resell it for anything like a realsistic price because of the fuel consumption. They also use alot of oil apparently.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:01 am »
My mate's had a couple. First one had about 40k on the clock, he shifted it on and took a massive hit on the finance as the rotor tips had worn.

The coil packs on them tend to break - but only intermittently, not completely fail. Means that it overfuels which tends to do the rotary equivalent of bore wash - wearing the rotor tips prematurely. It's a lottery buying a secondhand one as they need regular oil top ups - so if you've got a maintenance shy previous owner you're buying a whole heap of problems.

Expect around 21-22mpg with varied driving. Even on the motorway taking it steady my mate couldn't get above 25mpg.

If you get one and only ever do short journeys where it never gets warm, you'll kill it pretty quickly - think there's even a note in the handbook to let it get warm before turning it off.

If I could live with the poor economy I'd buy a new or nearly new one, and shift it on just before the warranty was out. Can get some really good deals on new/nearly new examples from main dealers and they do handle very nicely.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 11:36:19 am »
I totally agree with Andy... Don't mess with a wankel engine...
Imagine that you have a g lader for engine... apex seals and all that...  No way
I've raced a mate with a 190hp version rx8, my g has 68pulley+chip+panel filter and he could not catch me till 170km/h...
They have a powerful engine but they are heavy- they are not fast enough to make you love it...
BUT, they are more comfortable, safe and they look nicer than the g's

Offline bushyg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 02:41:40 pm »
iv worked for mazda and the rx8 is shit shit on fuel and oil what other car do u know that they give u a litre of oil free when u buy the car the handling is numb and its not a very fast car at all and in one week i think we must hav had 7 or 8 recovered in for over fueling and setting the cat alight

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 08:44:24 pm »
ive worked for mazda aswell and totally agree with all the above information.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:46:26 pm »
realy not the car to go for then !!

Offline chris2911

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 09:34:49 pm »

not unless u like being recovered and being at the fuel pump alot

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 10:52:48 am »
My mate has one currently running around 320bhp. Very fast, sounds awesome but extremely fuel hungry and tempremental.

Offline g40Ross

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 06:57:55 am »
never driven one but been in a 230hp one was pretty quick been in quicker cars! n if i was to go for the wankle engine it would have the be the rx7 twin turbo! i personaly think they are pretty girly or for posers!

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2010, 07:21:11 pm »
Get a MK1 Masda MX5 and Turbo it instead.

Or a super charger kit.