Author Topic: Melted Piston  (Read 25625 times)

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: Melted Piston
« Reply #60 on: November 12, 2009, 03:29:58 pm »
I mean everyones got 50 quid to spend on a pulley but they aint got the other 500 for the map and injectors!

why would you need to buy injecters for putting on a pully?
i have a 65mm pully on mine with std injectors and just got a chip from jabba to suit the pully then just retarded the timing slightly to cope with the boost. and my car has 240k on the clock

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #61 on: November 12, 2009, 07:15:02 pm »
When you run more boost you should natrally run more fuel and ignition a "chip" from jabba means dick!
You cannot just supply a chip and say that'll do the job every engine is different!
The car this thread is all about has been to jabba and has one of there chips fitted apparently and weirdly enough its killed itself!
Funny that!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #62 on: November 12, 2009, 07:17:27 pm »
To give them their due, Jabbasport's chips aren't that bad for a mildly tuned G40.

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »
why does it sound like a dead engine?

you know nothing about the company selling, your very half empty with your views on things arent you lol
If you want to slate me at least quote me so i know your not just talking to yourself in future!
I might not know anything about the company selling the chips but i know enough about tuning cars to know that any ebay chip is prob gonna cost you dearly in the future!
As i've said above you cant just stick any old chip on an engine and expect it to last!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2009, 08:27:24 pm »
Just to chuck my two penneth in. I've run for over 50k in G's with generic chips and smaller pulleys and had no issues. I also had issues (or so I thought) with my bottom end. I bought a second hand engine from Hardchargin who has posted in this thread and it was bob on, no issues at all. In fact that engine made 150bhp on a RR with a generic chip and a smaller pulley. The proof is in the pudding as they say.

As has been said, Dirt came on asking for advice and for cost effectivness if she isnt doing the work herself I would also advise just buying a new block and putting it in, will probably be cheaper. Although as you've said there is no such thing as cheap power. Owning a G is not a cheap exercise.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2009, 09:55:59 pm »
why does it sound like a dead engine?

you know nothing about the company selling, your very half empty with your views on things arent you lol
If you want to slate me at least quote me so i know your not just talking to yourself in future!
I might not know anything about the company selling the chips but i know enough about tuning cars to know that any ebay chip is prob gonna cost you dearly in the future!
As i've said above you cant just stick any old chip on an engine and expect it to last!

your starting to annoy me a bit to be honest, every post is like we are having a go at you, we are not, we are just trying to tell you our views/help on G40 stuff, which clearly you dont know much about (that isnt a dig, but from reading your replies, i have come to this conclusion)

Again, just calm down and try and take in what we are saying!

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #66 on: November 13, 2009, 12:22:45 pm »
I'm not having a go at people i just dont like being told i know nothing when actually i'm a VW trained tech i've prob seen and worked on more G40's than you lot have had hot dinners i've got at least 16 years worth of spanners under my belt the last 7 of those have been spent building and tuning performance cars and i'm not talking fitting the odd exhaust and filter i mean propper tuning fully forged turbo monsters!
So i think i'm qualified dont you!
Anyway thanks all for your input its been emotional!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2009, 12:44:20 pm »
I'm 30, eat on average 1 hot dinner a day.

Not allowing for leapyears, this would mean 365x30 = 10950 hot dinners.

Considering less than 600 g40s were imported and approximately half are dead, then I I dought you've probably seen or worked on more than the whole of the membership here.

If you consider the above innane, then it was similarly innane to your comment. 

This forum is adult, constructive and generally a tight knit friendly community. Please respect that. If you want to argue or talk rubbish, please post on club polo or edition 38.

Pete

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2009, 12:54:06 pm »
you beat me to it pete,
Of all the G's that are scattered around the country i wouldn't think everyone would have taken to 1 specific vw dealer

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »
I'm not having a go at people i just dont like being told i know nothing when actually i'm a VW trained tech
Just chill out a bit - you've assumed that everyone else on here is just an ill-informed fuckwit keyboard warrior, and that's not the case.

There are several members on here that work in the automotive industry, including those that work in engine design; engine test; and engine calibration. I'm not decrying you or VW's technician training here, merely pointing out that there are some other people on here that are more than qualified to comment too...

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
« Reply #70 on: November 13, 2009, 01:57:28 pm »
 :D

Thanks for the replies guys :-*

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #71 on: November 13, 2009, 02:20:00 pm »
At the end of the day, we can only advise from our own knowledge and experience.  Most of us on here have had them for years and have tried and tested nearly every type of chip/ engine mod available for the G40, plus enhanced research.  There are plenty of 'newer' people that now own G40s are still unaware of pitfalls.

We've done vee belts, surpentine setup and toothed setup configurations, on a range of pulley sizes with different sources of chips.  The general consensus has always been stay away from ebay for chips and other resistor type mods, most people are aware of this, unless your a chav (not you, i mean in general).

Im pretty sure that in the early years nearly 100% of us used a jabbasport chip aswell.  Mike Truelock is still regarded as one of the greats.

Poloace dabbled in chips, with good results.  Pitstop aswell with SNS.  Now obviously Andy and Yoof (PPP - both may i add highly qualified in engine management and control and motorsport).  The later being great as they indicate the type of mods the chip is designed for.  

Dedicated chips for cars boosting performances is a multi-million £ industry.  Yes individual mapping is always the best to get the best, but for cost effectiveness and general mods chips are better.  Injectors, plenty of us have done the research on duty cycles, flow rates etc, whats best for what, map sensors, coil breakdown, type of spark plugs to use, fuel pump issues (some people had melted pistons from doing a G40 conversion and using a non G40 pump), correct oil, healthly charger running issues.

I think the main issue here is that Dirty Slag is just treating Dirrt's engine with caution, i.e. a rebuilding your own is better than buying an unknown engine, yes.  Going into a dismantlers yard and picking up an engine, yes is an unknown but we are talking about a known and trusted source being Yoof, or similar PeteG40/DKinght etc.  Unknown in your circles Dirty Slag but not in the G40 community.

End of the Day its upto Dirrt, what she wants to do, be it get it rebuilt by yourself or buy a pre done engine and have a spare, whatever.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #72 on: November 13, 2009, 02:34:21 pm »
I'm not having a go at people i just dont like being told i know nothing when actually i'm a VW trained tech i've prob seen and worked on more G40's than you lot have had hot dinners i've got at least 16 years worth of spanners under my belt the last 7 of those have been spent building and tuning performance cars and i'm not talking fitting the odd exhaust and filter i mean propper tuning fully forged turbo monsters!

Thought id quote you then you dont get mad. Just chill out or fuck off. ;)

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #73 on: November 13, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »
At least if you buy another engine and melt that too, the chances are you will still have 4 good pistons in total.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2009, 03:44:53 pm »

Thought id quote you then you dont get mad. Just chill out or fuck off. ;)

You do seem to either come across or that you think of yourself (whether you mean it or not) as a know it all and the big I am on everything, and wont accept any input from anyone else, especially with someone with specific experience. 

I work on Tornado GR4s for a living, we rely on working as a team, Ive a wealth of experience and knowledge on it but still ask and accept advice on what im doing, be it good or bad advice, not just get in a huff about how i know what best blah blah blah because ive the most experience on the trade desk.  Theres more to life.