Author Topic: putting an intercooler on!  (Read 1787 times)

Offline vwgolfR14

• Members
putting an intercooler on!
« on: May 16, 2011, 06:21:24 pm »
I am looking to put on an aftermarket intercooler on my g40 which has a stage 4 jabba charger and i am wondering if i need another chip to go with this as i know you have to remap turbo's if you add a bigger cooler! any help would be appreciated

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: putting an intercooler on!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 08:27:59 pm »
as in when you put the intercooler on, will you need a chip to suit? no, i believe you dont.

Offline vwgolfR14

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 12:16:49 am »
So if I were to put a larger intercooler on just now and not get a chip it would run as perfect as it does just now or run better even?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 12:39:51 pm »
Doesn't make much of a difference with a glader dude.

Offline vwgolfR14

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 12:57:12 pm »
so is there any point in putting a larger intercooler on?

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 01:41:36 pm »
If you use a bigger I/C then you will have cooler intake temps allowing you to have higher volume intake (more air) because it's cooler and denser therefore allowing more air in.  So you should get some improvements in bhp and torque.

Correct me if I'm wrong though lads.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
Best thing to do is get an aquamist kit if you want to lower the temp. That will require a remap though.

I have a custom made ally intercooler (same size as standard and mounted in same place) but i want the "stock look" and dont want a big intercooler so i have got an aqaumist kit.

After buying a good intercooler and getting all the pipework done you could buy a kit for same price or less. I picked up a kit for £100.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:15:02 pm »
How good are those kits Jezz?? What sort of temps will it achieve and where do you fit them??

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 07:43:34 pm »
Depends what kit you get as there are a few. Mine is a devils own kit.

Taken from the website:
Increase horsepower safely by 10-15%.
Lower air temperatures by 50-200+ degrees.
Decrease cylinder temperatures up to 300 degrees.
Reduce the effects of heat soak in warmer climates.
Allows you to safely run more boost and timing.
Reduces carbon and helps maintain a clean combustion chamber.
Increases octane at user programmable boost levels.

If you use a 50/50 mix of water and methanol you can achieve an octane level of 116.

My friend ran the kit on an eaton'ed mx5 and said the aqua-mist kit made a big difference.

Im looking to fit mine in the boot as there isn't a lot of room in the engine bay for a tank, so i will have a gallon tank with pump in boot, run the nylon tube either through the car or underneath running along with the fuel lines, to the engine bay and put the injector either into the outlet of the intercooler or the big boost pipe as mine is alloy. But there are loads of ways to install them just depends on your preference.

The best way is to get your inlet manifold and drill into each inlet and put a nozzle into each inlet. That way the 4 aqua-mist injectors will spray equal amounts into each cylinder. As the least recommended place is the throttle body. It doesn't give enough time for the air to mix properly therefore it cant give an equal amount into each cylinder. Thats why im choosing to put it as far away as possible before the inlet except before the intercooler as....its bad.

But the main point of the aqua-mist kit is to prevent det.

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:54:18 pm »
Sweet so which ever way you chose to install it depends well the kit works. Where did you get your kit from bud??