Author Topic: l.s.d gearbox  (Read 3080 times)

Offline liam

• Members
l.s.d gearbox
« on: April 01, 2010, 02:19:30 pm »
ive been eying up a modified mk3 polo cl for a while, its been sat on someones drive for about 12 months.
the lad that owns it says that there is a g40 gearbox on it with a l.s.d in it.
is there any way i could find out if there is one in it on his driveway because its the only reason i want it is for the l.s.d gearbox,
any help appreciated, liam.

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: l.s.d gearbox
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:35:29 pm »
Cant see how you will physically check it without pulling it apart. Firstly check the gearbox code to make sure its a G40 gearbox if you can get to it, then try driving it, that should give you an idea of whats in it!

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:44:24 pm »
There are a few indicators,

Jack the front of the car so both wheels are off the floor, try to spin each front wheel in oposite directions. If its got an open diff they should spin free in opposite directions.

The other one is to get in it and pop the clutch while giving it the beans, then get out and count how many charlie lines its left on the floor!  ;D Although sometimes with the right tyre pressures or weight distribution you can lay 2 down with an open diff.

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:56:19 pm »
There are a few indicators,

Jack the front of the car so both wheels are off the floor, try to spin each front wheel in oposite directions. If its got an open diff they should spin free in opposite directions.

The other one is to get in it and pop the clutch while giving it the beans, then get out and count how many charlie lines its left on the floor!  ;D Although sometimes with the right tyre pressures or weight distribution you can lay 2 down with an open diff.
if the car hadnt been off the road for 12 months i would rag it about and find out that way, ill jack it up and check the wheels when i go round there now, my box code is atv but im sure there are a couple of g40 box codes can anyone confirm this, thanks, liam.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 06:40:42 pm »
come  think of it an easyer way to find out is to jack one wheel off the ground, with the car in neutral. You shouldnt be able to spin the wheel thats off the floor, not without a fair amount of force anyway (unless it has an open diff).

Thats for LSD's anyway, though I think its very unlikely that any polo will have a locker.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 06:43:45 pm by Tommo »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:42:09 pm »
Liam, virtually every G40 gearbox I have seen or heard of has been an ATV.
The Haynes book of fiction reckons a CEK code box was also fitted to the G40 though.  

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:44:05 pm »
it was a late spec box the cek one

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 06:46:52 pm »
Yep late one is the CEK, i have one as spare for my ATV. There are also 8S units out there in Polo land too.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:25:22 pm »
yeah jack one front wheel up and if it spins freely then it hasn't got an LSD fitted. 

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 07:51:52 pm »
just got back from checking that polo out and i had it jacked up with one wheel still on the floor and the other was moving round quite freely, it was a bit stiff but was due to it being off the road i think so thats the end of that.

just to be sure though when i had one wheel up and one on the floor should i of been in gear or out of gear.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
doesnt matter if it's in or out of gear.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 06:50:41 am »
Surely it does hayesy? If its in gear and you have an open diff it shouldnt spin freely because you will be trying to turn the crank.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 07:03:51 am »
did you check box code? plenty of people want atv boxes
pete

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2010, 06:17:27 pm »
im going back round on tuesday with another jack and some tools to get the code, ill let you know