Author Topic: new clutch slipping  (Read 5393 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
new clutch slipping
« on: March 18, 2011, 10:13:07 am »
Fitted my fast road organic clutch from CG motorsports, have covered around 600 miles, 450 to bed it in, and it wasn't slipping at all. Started to drive on boost and it was fine. Just before the end of February it started to slip when the boost went over 5 psi. Started driving off boost all the time. Did around 50 miles since then and it got better. Been away for 3 weeks and took it out last night and as soon as i touched to accel to pull away it was slipping loads. I carried on driving taking it really easy but when i got to a slight hill it was slipping more in 5th and 4th, but 2nd was better.

Any thought?

Gonna ring them today to see what they say.

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: new clutch slipping
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:33:13 am »
Just a couple of sanity checks... the cable is adjusted correctly and the clutch isn't being contaminated from an oil leak etc?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 10:37:53 am »
did you clean the cover plate before fitting? they  often have an anti rust coating which needs blasting off with brake and clutch cleaner

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:40:54 am »
Cable is set ok.

No i didnt clean the clutch plate. I fitted the flywheel i got from you and that side of the clutch was cleaned.

I dont think there is an oil leak but it could well be. Might see if i can use an endoscope from work to have a look inside.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:11 am »
5th gear and a motorway session will usually burn most contaminents off, including gearbox oil  ;)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 11:38:15 am »
My money is on an oil leak from the input shaft seal.  If this is the case then you should be able to see where it's coming out of the bottom of the bell housing where that tin plate is.

You definitely should clean a clutch plate and all friction surfaces when putting a new clutch on.  Especially the metal of the cover plate as they usually have an oil coating to stop them rusting in storage, same as with brake discs.  However, I'm not convinced this is your problem because I'd have expected it to slip from the start (if anything, worse gradually getting better).

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 11:43:05 am »
i'd try to burn it off and go from there - inspecting the driveway/bottom of the box to see for leakes

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:49:46 am »
well you need to look for leaks first, once that's fixed you can go about burning the oil off the clutch.  Like yoof said, best bet is to go on an empty/quiet motorway, put it in fifth and floor it till it stops slipping! 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 07:41:49 pm »
There has been no leaks coming from anywhere.

When i took the little plastic cap off, thats on top of the housing, it was very black and clutch burny smell. I sprayed some cleaner in there to see if it would clear anything but i dont think it did.

Took it out for a drive. Still slipping and managed to get above 30mph. Put it into 5th and it wont not stop slipping. I put it into 4th and could pull away with a little rev, and could also do this in 5th.

New clutch for me i think! 

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 06:25:50 pm »
sure the cables adjusted right?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 11:11:33 am »
Yeah i checked the cable. I had it really loose so i could only just about get it in gear and then tightened it up but it just kept slipping.

I spoke to cg motorsports, the women said maybe they have supplied the wrong one as the one they supplied me with should cope up to 25% of the standard power. I said mine is around 150bhp and she said you will have to speak to mike. So i ran back and he kept saying "what about this, what about that" etc and it seemed like he didnt really wanna know. He tried saying it might be the mech on the box and to try squirting some wd40 onto it to loosen it up.

Its getting taken off and sent back to them as it will come under the warranty as its only 2 months old. I will be asking for a refund too.

Gonna get a helix cluth. Wish i had of got one from the start.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 12:47:17 pm »
Even if thy just supplied you with a standard one then I don't see that it should slip with 150bhp realy, I do feel for you though mate it's not fun to keep having the gearbox on and off !!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 02:14:25 pm »
from this:

http://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,6435.msg46315.html#msg46315

it sounds like it's completely the wrong clutch you have.  Even a standard g40 one looks basically the same as that

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »
Did you measure the friction plate ? Maybe it's a 190mm clutch fro a normal polo ??

Offline alexm866

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 02:16:21 pm »
think i may have a dud also, as the clutch i have received today looks totally different to the clutch pete is selling, i order the one described as being for "fast road use" i assume this is what pete is selling.

to Jezza: is this what it looked like?

also the one i have just checked it, and is 200mm