Author Topic: Front ARB  (Read 2787 times)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
Front ARB
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:03:23 pm »
With regards to my front anti roll bar.

I have a TA technics 4 branch manifold and it clashes with my ARB at rattles when ther are a few more people than myself in the car.

Would it be ok to weld another length of bar to the ARB and use a half round file, to file a slight groove in it so that the downpipe clears the ARB or would this create to much stifness/stress in one area of the ARB or should it be fine.

Its just an idea instead of paying £££ for a new manifold.

Gav

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
Re: Front ARB
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:19:37 pm »
Not really Chief, your ARB is spring steel so if you weld to it, it'll change the properties of the metal and it'll probably fracture under load  :(

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:07:10 pm »
do you have the arb blocks?

they move the arb forward

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 06:18:42 pm »
Yea im running blocks and it still catches.

I bet i can get a 1mm feeler guage through the gap but when there is anyone other than me in the car it starts rattling against it. The only other option is to use a ball hammer and just tap the manifold in slightly. I would get a new maniflod but i really cant justify it at the moment due to fuel pump failure and other things that need doing.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 06:37:44 pm »
Got the ARB blocks on the right way round? Seen them fitted backwards more than once!

Other option is there's a surprising amount of movement in the engine mounts themselves, slacken everything off and shove it back!

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 10:17:43 pm »
Got the ARB blocks on the right way round? Seen them fitted backwards more than once!

Other option is there's a surprising amount of movement in the engine mounts themselves, slacken everything off and shove it back!

Which way round should they be, Ill have a check at the weekend as the car is at the mothers where the pump packed in.

And ill try the mounts.

Offline alexm866

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 06:35:31 pm »
the hole for the beam should be closest to the front of the car.

having my own arb based nightmare at the moment, found that the morons that did some mot work for me refitted them in opposing orientations  >:( one with hole to the front the other to the rear. this was causing exactly the sort of manifold rubbing you are talking about...

decided to try and sort it myself rather than deal with those idiots again, tho now having trouble getting things to line back up right.