Author Topic: g40 distributer, can they be repaired?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline liam

• Members
g40 distributer, can they be repaired?
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:56:04 pm »
bought a newman cam recently and it fucked my brand new dizzy up,
when i bolted the dizzy to my new cam something went snap inside as the little hole in the centre of the cam wasnt deep enough and it doesnt work anymore, the dizzy was about 1000 miles old and cost me 180 from vw so i dont feel like buying another.
does anyone know if dizzys can be repaired and where?
thanks, liam.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: g40 distributer, can they be repaired?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 05:07:40 pm »
GSF sell a bosch repair kit for about 50 quid.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 06:50:43 pm »
It's likely it's snapped the little plasticy peg on the end. The peg is part of a bigger disc of plastic which is hold onto the dizzy shaft with a pin. With a bit of patience you could simply swap this plastic component with one from any compatible dizzy - Mk3 SPI for instance (~£10-15 second hand).

Have a look here http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=91373

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 06:56:30 pm »
im making no promises - but if it is the little plastic disc with the round peg on it - ive got a spare around my garage somewhere.....only problem is i dont know where it will be in my garage

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2010, 11:16:50 pm »
im making no promises - but if it is the little plastic disc with the round peg on it - ive got a spare around my garage somewhere.....only problem is i dont know where it will be in my garage
ive already been down the scrappy and found a very similar one off a seat ibiza and swapped all the parts i thought was broke but still didnt work, that repair kit from gsf sounds just the thing i`ll give them a ring on monday, thanks.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 11:33:26 pm »
i have loads of dizzy parts, i whored them, get some pics of yours and i will have the bits you need, wont cost much to post at all

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 11:34:20 pm »
i have spare hall senders too so at least you can try them to see first, ive repaired loads and it is quite careful work but not too hard

Offline liam

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »
i have loads of dizzy parts, i whored them, get some pics of yours and i will have the bits you need, wont cost much to post at all
ok, nice one mate,
pics up tomorrow as my unit is about 8 miles away from where i live but the thing is ive replaced everything i thought was broke and still cant get it working so i could do with someone repairing it for me or supplying a whole repair kit so i can change everything because i dont know whats causing it to not work.