Author Topic: brakes  (Read 4966 times)

Offline si polo coupe

• Members
brakes
« on: March 04, 2012, 09:34:20 pm »
i have a question, i am in the process of doing a rear disc conversion and i will be running braided brake lines through the car, now the question is could i get rid of the brake conpensator by left rear wheel, and run the brake lines straight to the calipers and only have a brake bias to alter the braking. hope someone can shed some light into this. cheers Si

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: brakes
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 10:23:12 pm »
The compensator is there to limit the braking to the rear wheels when the car is un-laden and increase it when there is more weight. If you are planning to run a brake bias valve to control front/rear brake balance then you don't need it and I would imagine that you would actually need it gone to prevent strange behaviour.

Offline Breaderzz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 01:01:45 am »
As above mate. The compensators a pretty shite anyway. or atleast mine was.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:24:22 am »
yeah if you are putting in a bias valve then do away with the compensator.  This is the set up I have in mine.

Offline si polo coupe

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 07:31:57 pm »
Cheers for your help i can get on an start that. Also i have a mk2 golf master cylinder and have been told that a passat brake servo is the same as a polo but a bigger bore for better brakes is this true.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:46:00 pm »
putting a bigger master cylinder will reduce pedal travel but mean more leg effort is required to operate the brakes.  Which you prefer is personal preference but normally putting a bigger master cylinder on would be done at the same time as putting bigger calipers on. 

There's no other servo that'll fit as far as I'm aware.

Offline si polo coupe

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 09:17:48 pm »
Right thanks for clearing that up. And yea will be looking at 4 pot calipers later on in the year just wanted the brakes to be abit more responsive before i hit the track.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:55:26 am »
ok well yeah you'll definitely want a bigger MC with some 4-pots. 

Offline si polo coupe

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:30 pm »
hey guys its time to get the 4pots now. ive been on rally design and will be getting the willwood midilite mk1 golf 4pots but they ask which lug hole mounts i need 76mm or 94mm can someone help me on this. also with the golf mc i will be running indivdual brake lines to each caliper, will i need to brake bias to do the rear brakes or can i run it without a bias. cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 09:30:39 am »
76mm if I remember correctly.

You'll need two bias valves if you're running two lines to the rear (unless you can find valve with two separate circuits in it).  You definitely need something to limit the brake power to the back, especially with discs or you'll find the rear wheels just lock up every time you brake hard.

Offline si polo coupe

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 03:27:32 pm »
Thanks bud. Can get on and order the rest of the stuff.  :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:53 pm »
I just have one line going to the back of the car through a single bias valve.  You can run 2 if you really want to but I'd not worry about it. 

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 11:37:05 pm »
I just have one line going to the back of the car through a single bias valve.  You can run 2 if you really want to but I'd not worry about it. 

Presume that means you are running separate front and rear circuits opposed to the allegedly safer cross-circuit setup you'd get on most FWD cars?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 09:19:20 am »
yes so both rears are on a single circuit and then the fronts are on one circuit per side. 

It doesn't bother me since if the rear brakes failed it really wouldn't be all that big a deal, they do very little.