Author Topic: storing the g over winter  (Read 1019 times)

Offline boyzey

• Members
storing the g over winter
« on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
oryt people the salt is now out on the roads of west yorkshire :(, so my g is now tooked up in the garage, just wonderd how every 1 stores thers i have red a few posts hear and ther about it, its just the engine and charger i am unsure on how to store realy  ???,

any info would be ace cheers

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: storing the g over winter
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 09:04:38 pm »
You can wrap it all up as mentioned elsewhere, but what I do is pull the battery, then every couple of weeks stick on the jump leads and give the old girl a run up to operating temp. This keeps oil in the system and seals not drying out . I also reckon that removing the battery will help cut down on cathodic corrosion a wee bit.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:35:59 pm »
tyres will suffer the most, take the wheels off and put some old steelies and old tyres on it if possible.  Or just move it backwards and forwards every week or so so it's not always sat on the same patch on the tyres.  Also leave the hand brake off.  Other than that, there's nothing to worry about for a few months.  If the garage is prone to getting damp then it might be worth removing the charger and storing it in the house as the scrolls will corrode if they are left in damp conditions.

Offline boyzey

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »
yep old steels n crap tyres are on, going to get something to put in car and collect moisture to prevent mould, have been advised to just take the weight of the suspension and that by just jacking the car up a little, but yes was most worryed about the charger, was going to be last resort taking it off lol but if thats the way it will be done haha

any other ideas welcome cheers