Author Topic: PSD Toothies - Out of line?  (Read 5173 times)

Offline rich4130

• Members
PSD Toothies - Out of line?
« on: June 02, 2009, 11:01:21 pm »
Recently my PSD toothies have caused the belt to rub onto the cambelt cover, were fine, stripped a belt few weeks back, changed it, was fine at first, now I cannot seem to get the belt to run true, it seems to want to run right up to the edge of the charger pulley (towards the charger) and hence rubs on the cambelt cover.

Any ways round this? i.e doing up the 19mm/allen key bolt in any order? there is roughly just over 90degs of turn on the longest run of the belt, i'm pushing on a ratchet to tension the charger about 90% of my strength, that usual?

Seems odd that they have suddenly started..:S

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: PSD Toothies - Out of line?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:54:46 am »
mine rubs on the cambelt cover and has cut a piece out the plastic is so bad!

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2009, 06:39:59 pm »
mine did exactly the same too, was fine for ages then as you say started to run right on the edge of the charger pulley(charger side)? I just removed my cam belt cover, but someone mentioned they had seen timing belt failures due to debris flying up from the road so am not happy with that either?  Anyone managed to fix this?

cheers.

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 06:59:46 pm »
just cut the bottom half off the cover?!
if by some mirracle something gets in and you have a cam belt failure ,
so be it just have to pay up and fix it?  ??? ::)

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 09:13:10 pm »

so be it just have to pay up and fix it?  ??? ::)

don't think you would be saying that if you owned a 1341cc and that happened thats for sure!

Offline quiksilver_jake

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 11:09:41 pm »
i spend what ever my g40 needs robin, e.g 2 chargers in 2 weeks totaling £1000 what ever she wants she gets ;D

Offline Dan

• Members
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:09:52 am »
Have you made sure the pullies are running true with each other, say if the alternator is slightly cocked over will obviously force the belt over one side.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 05:22:49 pm »
you're not running one of those kits on ebay are you or a PSD kit?

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 02:09:49 pm »
i have this exact problem, with psd's it looked likethe charger is mounted on the pss and the belt sit a tiny bit off the pully close to the charger, and when rev's it touches slightly, im not driving it like this oviously! any solution?

Offline dazzle53

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 02:28:38 pm »
i had the same problem which tured out to be because i wasnt running the mount above the manifold for the charger. put it back on and the belts run true with no issues.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:22 pm »
Take a look at your alternator pulley. I've a PSD one and the keyway has been cut to the same size as the charger keyway when it should be smaller. The woodruff key on the alternator shaft gets fucked up allowing the alternator pulley to start running out of true. Belt starts to wander and alternator shaft gets chewed up. Alternator pulley needs re cutting for correct key and if you're unlucky, you need a new alternator rotor.

Offline SuperMario

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 12:14:46 am »
im pretty sure its the charger out of line, its quite visable, the mount onto the manifold could well be my problem. thanks