Author Topic: Idle, Oil Pressure Problems  (Read 2233 times)

Offline Herpies

• Members
Idle, Oil Pressure Problems
« on: October 03, 2012, 04:16:30 pm »
Trying so hard to get my G40 on the road, engine starts and runs but has a few problems. Its a conversion and my car was originally a gt.

1) When the revs decrease back to idle after giving it a bit of throttle, they drop slightly below for a second or so almost sounding like its about to cut out then creep up to normal idle.. a friend said it could be base idle?

2) When you get the revs up to about 3k and hold it a few seconds it the clocks starts beeping and oil light flashing, both don't stop.
It may be something stupid like I have the wrong oil pressure wire from the back of the clocks on the wrong attachment on the block, if I'm correct thats where oil pressure is?
But one of those attachments to back of the block has a barrel shaped regulator? On the one closest to the cambelt. (pictured below)

There also another set of these wires coming from the g40 ecu loom..
The black and red wire come from the back of the clocks. The blue and the yellow wire from the g40 loom... (pictured below)

I have a seperate oil pressure gauge and boost gauge from the car I got the engine and everything from which aren't wired up yet as I don't actually know what they should live to.

Just wandering if you guys have any advice on this, its been racking my brain for days!! :)
Thanks,
James

Offline gaz g40

• Members
Re: Idle, Oil Pressure Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 07:55:44 pm »
the black and yellow are to the oil pressure sensors one goes to the sensor at the side of the regulator as you call it and the other goes where that regulator should be..... that regulator as you call it looks like a oil temp or pressure sensor to me hope that helps you abit mate

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Idle, Oil Pressure Problems
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:51:12 am »
1) When the revs decrease back to idle after giving it a bit of throttle, they drop slightly below for a second or so almost sounding like its about to cut out then creep up to normal idle.. a friend said it could be base idle?

sounds like the ignition timing is out.  Have you set this to 5 deg BTDC +/- 1 deg with a timing light?

2) When you get the revs up to about 3k and hold it a few seconds it the clocks starts beeping and oil light flashing, both don't stop.
It may be something stupid like I have the wrong oil pressure wire from the back of the clocks on the wrong attachment on the block, if I'm correct thats where oil pressure is?
But one of those attachments to back of the block has a barrel shaped regulator? On the one closest to the cambelt. (pictured below)

That "barrel" you talk about is an electric pressure sender, people put them on to run electric pressure gauges, it shouldn't be there.  Both high and low pressure sensors (that the blue and yellow wires go to) should be spade connectors on sensors screwed into the back of the head, the sensors look the same.  Your yellow wire seems to have a ring crimp on it, this isn't right.  Remove the barrel thing and see if there's a spade connector to connect the yellow wire to (although you'll have to crimp a new connector on the end as someone has put a ring crimp on it).
There also another set of these wires coming from the g40 ecu loom..
The black and red wire come from the back of the clocks. The blue and the yellow wire from the g40 loom... (pictured below)

I don't know what the black and red wires are, they don't look standard,. I assume they're something to do with these gauges you have.  You need to trace exactly where they go to and if it's just the gauges then leave them disconnected for now. 

I have a seperate oil pressure gauge and boost gauge from the car I got the engine and everything from which aren't wired up yet as I don't actually know what they should live to.

I'd leave them out for now, get everything sorted as standard first.  Trying to get a car working properly where the wiring has been messed with and isn't standard can be a nightmare.  Try to get everything back standard first is the best idea I think.

cheers,
Paul.