Author Topic: Is it really worth it??  (Read 3172 times)

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
  • Rebuild time almost over
Is it really worth it??
« on: March 30, 2012, 11:43:38 am »
I have wanted one of these for ages, they are really cool and reduce the throw by a big margin but are they really worth the €799/ £666 price tag??

http://www.cae-racing.com/shifter_vw_polo.htm

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
Re: Is it really worth it??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 12:27:14 pm »
in my opinion .... YES! lol

But a can become quite stupid at throwing money at objects like these...

plus with ma vicious gear changes and my tendency to break things i dont know how these would hold up ...

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 02:06:11 pm »
This is my problem I really want one and in my opinion they are worth it but at the end of the day it is a short shift kit with a higher lever.

I am bundling some more money into my 40 in the not to distant future and one of the main things I can think of buying is this but with that money I could get alot more than, at the end of the day a short shift kit (that looks amazing).

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 02:08:03 pm »
It does look pretty but it's the job at hand that counts..
A don't know the current spec of your car.. Maybe get an r1 charger or some head work for that money?

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:45:39 pm »
They are a lovely looking bit of kit, but only in the right car. Stuck in a fully trimmed G40 it'd look a bit silly. In a very high powered/stripped out track or race car I reckon it'd be the icing on the cake.
For the majority of G40/turbo cars I reckon there are far better things to spend the money on. PPP ultimate subframe or an LSD are just two of them.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 08:15:59 pm »
luckily i have both subframe and LSD

so maybe jake has just sprung ideas in my head

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 11:59:50 am »
Djtez - I have already got a full blend charger, Gt inlet mani, 4-2-1 exhuast, I rebuilt the head with new valve guides stem seals and all valves cut/lapped also a bit of porting to the head to match te inlet and exhuast, 65mm pulley, de cat, I rebuilt the bottom end as well. It also has a helix organic clutch And probably some other things I have forgotten.

So I'll only be going down the path of handling/cooling with maybe a little more power.
But the shifter does look amazing!

Bread man - I will be investing in a subframe at a similar time, I would go for an LSD as it would probably be one of the best mods you can do but after buying the unit and fitting it your looking around the £1000 mark unless I fitted it myself and I haven't stripped a box yet do it would take me awhile to say the least.

My g40 is half stripped already and I'm planning on shedding as much weight as I can so it will do in lovely.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:55:34 pm »
Quaife lsd to be fitted is like £800 or less than £100 if you get the parts needed your self.

I would like to get this but its pointless, unless your running your car for track/strip days only, i think its a lot of money for little gain. Still gonna wheel spin with the power so might as well spend it on something useful like a lsd (same price) and reduce the wheel spin.

Also i bet the gearbox wont like it with the "quicker changes" there bad enough with the charger.

And it doesn't matter what it looks like, awesome, stupid etc. Who is gonna see it? I certainly wont as im going past  8) lol.

Im sure if it was worth it yoof would have one and im pretty sure he doesnt.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:03:56 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline Jake G 4 0

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:01:19 am »
Haha fair point jezza, but the only thing you would see is my rear number plate :o

Where can you get it fitted at that price? Has anyone fitted their own on here?

Offline alexm866

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 05:21:57 pm »
there is a guide on this forum if you search "quaife fitting"

make sure you have the right gearbox first, unknown to me mine had been switched to an early golf box by a previous owner and the diff wouldn't fit.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 07:30:37 pm »
I've never found the stock shift to be a problem, they do look nice though!

I'd possibly think about one if you could lock out 1st & 2nd when on track so you don't miss gears and throw a rod- but again I've not found this a problem with a Polo box.

Best mod is to get the cage the rubber ball sits in, and give it a good old squeeze with some grips, takes alot of slop out the linkage.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »
Haha fair point jezza, but the only thing you would see is my rear number plate :o

Where can you get it fitted at that price? Has anyone fitted their own on here?

i did mine took me about a good day to do it although it may take two or three as you may have to order new shim washers to set the preload on the diff bearings but mine was mine with the washer it had fitted.

The main cost is new bolts and nuts i think the bolts are about £5 each and you need 8 or 10 can remeber now two new diff bearings two oil seals and a press makes the job a damn sight easier as the bolts are press fit.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 10:14:59 am »
there's instructions in the FAQ section on fitting diffs.

Like yoof, I've not really had any problems with the standard gear change.  Apart from bending part of the linkage once (which yoof knows all about - BVF a couple of years ago?  pushing my car) but that would have still happened with this no doubt anyway