Author Topic: Brake Compensator adjustment  (Read 2323 times)

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
Brake Compensator adjustment
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:50:31 pm »
I've been looking over my brakes today as for as long as i remember i've had alot of pedal travel.  doing a bit of digging i see most people point towards the rear drums or air in the system.  I will be checking these properly soon (checked the wedges operation is fine but brakes are rusted as the car through being stationary for so long).

While i was under the car i decided to take a look at the compensator and found that the spring that operates is is free moving by about 1/2" or so.  I assumed this was because the car was up in the air with no load on the rear however, sitting the car back on its wheels again i found the spring was still able to move. It is possible to move the actuator on the unit too but it doesn't seem to return to a normal position if that makes sense.

Is this normal while the car has no increased weight in it?  If it isn't, how do i adjust it and how do i know it is adjusted to the correct setting?

My G40 is on standard suspension and brakes if its of any help :)

Thanks in advance.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Brake Compensator adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 09:25:19 am »
I'm not sure if the spring is supposed to be under tension or not and my polo doesn't have the compensator any more so I can't check.  But it makes sense that it might be seized. 

If the car has been stood it'll benefit from an overhaul of the brakes.  I'd remove the compensator and inspect it on a bench, see if it seems seized and see if you can clean and lubricate it to sort it, or just replace it.  Then replace the brake fluid with some new stuff.  I'd give the rear drums a going over too,  at very least take them apart, clean everything, grease the moving parts (adjusters etc...) and then refit.  If you want to be sure, replace the drums and shoes with new, the parts aren't expensive.

You'll probably do all that for £100 (not inc buying a compensator if that's knackered).

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 04:21:28 pm »
Let me know if you need one, I've got a good condition unit here.

Pete

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2014, 12:28:09 pm »
Thanks guys.

Eventually i will do a full overhaul of the brakes, suspension etc. but just had interest in the compensatory. Having the spring lose just doesn't sound right to me but at the same time, the car isn't lowered and i don't particularly take much weight in the back so shouldn't matter for now.  Just wanted to see how people set them up after removal.