Author Topic: Arch flaring techniques  (Read 3293 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Arch flaring techniques
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:31:55 am »
Hi all,
   To run my summer wheels which are rh cups 15x7 with ET 37-38 I need to run some 20 mm spacers up front which means my front arches need flaring so I've got about and inch more space, both front wings need replacing anyway so Im going to be doing this at the same time.

I can roll the arches fine no problem but just wanted to know any methods of flaring the arches by about an inch and if it's possible to retain the plastic arch trims as I quite like them.Also wondered if it's possible to do them prior to putting the wings one the car ?

Any ideas??

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Arch flaring techniques
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 10:53:20 am »
I cut back most of the stock arch underneath the plastic trim, this still didn't give enough clearance to run a 6x13 ET0 wheel on the front, I think you'll struggle with 15x7 ET 18 with a stock arch trim.

Hayesey has a set of G60 arches I think, which he was going to trim to fit, also Chuck (camone) used a set of Mk1 GTi arches to good effect:

I've got a set of those arches (as I was going to do the same before Berg ones) yours for £40 which is what I paid  :)

Offline samg40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:52 pm »
Why do you need to run the spacers with those wheels?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 11:06:01 am »
because the inside of the wheels catch on the compression strut on the subframe on around 3/4 of full lock which is a real pain in the ass! To be honest i have now sold these wheels and fitted some mk2 gold steel wheels and it has made things alot better although i could still do with some 5mm spacers as they still catch on full lock.

I miss my old rh cups though and was considering buying some for the summer, and my front wing has rusted out and needs replacing so i thought this would be an ideal time to get them to fit.