Author Topic: hello  (Read 2915 times)

Offline fluxco

• Members
hello
« on: December 09, 2008, 07:22:30 pm »
hello

Just signed up to this site because I saw Mr Hayes' facebook profile about taking his car apart again

this site has changed massivesly since i last checked it out a couple of year ago and its looking very good

I have a g40 mk1 derby (dead), was running a rotrex, but since blowing that up and sending it back to denmark for a rebuidl, i have upgraded to a bigger charger

I am currently in two minds whether to put the charger back in the derby or stick it into my mk2 golf...

Have the afh into mk2/3 taken off yet?  I was thinking about replacing the g with an afh and may be running with mega squirt

what are the opinions on the forum?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: hello
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:37:50 pm »
welcome.

there are a number of options -including turbo or eaton

afhs have been put in mk2/3 but still only 100 bhp so i reckon will seem low compared to the g40 rotrex in there

Offline fluxco

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 07:45:41 pm »
hey pete

the problem for the derby is still room between the exhaust manifold and the rad (inc fan) and i am still relunctant to chop up the front panel

having seen a couple of eaton and turbo installs, i havent got the room to fit either...

100bhp is still better than a dead g

320bhp in the golf would definitely be faster than the derby with the rotrex back in it

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:59:53 pm »
ey up mate  ;D

quite a few people running or in the process of converting to turbo power nowadays for lots of boost.

I've seen a few AFH conversions being done on Club Polo. I guess g40 people struggle to justify it because it'll invariably mean a decrease in power or cost one hell of a lot of money to make it worthwhile from a bhp point of view.
There was talk of putting afh head onto a g40 bottom end but it's not that straight forward.  Custom pistons would need making, don't think the oil and/or waterways are an exact match either.  Prob only a matter of time before someone does it though.  There are a couple of almost-1.5 g40s now with the 1W bottom end but yet to see any making big power.

juan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 12:02:29 am »
Ello and welcome :)

Eaton fits in the mk1 bay just about (psd eaton kit) it only needs the piece of metal behind the grille chopping away but it does still fowl the  radiator :(