Author Topic: G40 internals limit and common faults  (Read 1437 times)

Offline rsmark86

• Members
G40 internals limit and common faults
« on: July 02, 2012, 09:42:54 pm »
Hi I'm looking at getting another g40

I had one when I was 17 but had to sell and ended up in all manor or rs's but now I'm looking for another g40

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a full tuning guide
And list common faults to look for, I know they damage front chassis legs and gearboxes

Any others?

I've been looking on here and will be getting a stage 3 subframe and ideally want around 150+bhp

Thanks

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G40 internals limit and common faults
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 09:48:01 pm »
I guess just reading through threads in here will give you an idea of the common faults.

Not sure how long ago it was when you were 17 but they are all getting old now, most are 20 or 21 years old.  So there are some pretty tired ones about and some rusty ones too. 

Gearbox problems and charger problems are the main things to watch out for I guess.  Gearbox, just check for noises, whines etc... on test drive, make sure it goes into gears easily.  Charger, look for excessive oil in the boost pipes and any dodgy sounding noises.

Have a good look at chassis legs yes.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 09:49:52 pm »
also, there's a lot of conversions about these days too.  Personally I'd not be put off (I currently own two), there's nothing special about the g40 shell, I'd much rather buy a conversion g40 in a nice clean shell that's spent most of it's life with 40bhp than a knackered original g40 just so the v5c says "G40" on it instead of "CL" or "GT" etc...

Offline rsmark86

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 10:26:53 pm »
7 1/2 years ago now lol

I would rather buy one with perfect mechanics than a mint body that's ragged to death

I would also have a conversion as a mate of mine runs a mk1 golf g40

Always nice to be different and what ever one I get I'm removing the black trims and smoothing it ect with some deep dish wheels

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 09:45:46 am »
I would rather buy one with perfect mechanics than a mint body that's ragged to death

the only problem with that is, unless you work in a bodyshop, it's a lot easier to fix mechanics than a rotten shell. 

Anyway, all g40s get ragged :D it's just a case of finding one that's had the maintenance done to it that means it's not totally knackered.

Depends what you want to spend as well, every so often a really clean one with hardly any miles on it pops up, but the last one sold for £5k

Offline rsmark86

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 10:55:42 am »
Im looking for one with good upgrades and history and like you say that's been maintained to a good standard

Aslong as it's not rotten I don't mind one that needs a good respray and a general tidy up

I've got £2500 to get a car and a friend of the family will do my bodywork cheap, so Gunna put 1k aside unless a good one comes up then I could just spend out and just buy one for upto 3.5k