Author Topic: Spring rate numbers?  (Read 2071 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Spring rate numbers?
« on: May 26, 2010, 05:26:01 pm »
Got a set of h+r collies on the car there lovley bit of kit but a little firm wich was required as I've been running 15" wheels and it help stop any rubbing but my current rh cups won't fit my Audi brakes under because ofthe inward curving spokes so I'm going to have to change thinking of going for 14 as it will mean I can have softer springs and increased ride height for more comfort.
    Current springs have 180-40 written on them am I correct in thinking this is a 180 spring with a 40 helper spring and the total spring rate is 220 shall be buying new springs from rally designs just wanted to know what numbers are what so I can get some softer ones.

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
Re: Spring rate numbers?
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 08:12:50 am »
Softer springs are determined on the wire diameter and the pitch of the coil.

Offline leeg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 08:58:17 am »
Got a set of h+r collies on the car there lovley bit of kit but a little firm wich was required as I've been running 15" wheels and it help stop any rubbing but my current rh cups won't fit my Audi brakes under because ofthe inward curving spokes so I'm going to have to change thinking of going for 14 as it will mean I can have softer springs and increased ride height for more comfort.
    Current springs have 180-40 written on them am I correct in thinking this is a 180 spring with a 40 helper spring and the total spring rate is 220 shall be buying new springs from rally designs just wanted to know what numbers are what so I can get some softer ones.

so what your saying then is the larger spring has 180 on it and the helper has 40? If that's what you mean then yes I would be 99% sure they are the spring rates. Most coilover springs that I have had have the spring rate (may be lb's or kg depending on manufacture) and they will have the length again normaly in inches but may be MM, and somtimes they will have the internal diameter in inches as 2.25" is the most common but there are other sizes avaliable.
Hope that helps a bit.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 05:50:19 pm »
I was just geussing what the numbers ment realy there isn't any help springs they just look like one coil maybe the numbers corrispond to wire size and pitch but all the ones on rally designs are done in lb I think I rang h&r but they didn't realy car and dot offer any other springs , yea my sprins are about 2.25" is this inside or outside diameter though? I'll have to wait till I've got them off and take them to somone who knows about springs n say I want one of these but 20% softer thanks for the help though peeps