Author Topic: Problematic fuel rails?  (Read 3284 times)

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Problematic fuel rails?
« on: July 22, 2008, 07:29:04 pm »
Has anyone else had problems with fuel rails splitting at the point where the pipe from the fuel tank connects to it (just where the angled connector joins to the rest of the fuel rail)? This is the second time mine has split in the space of a couple of thousand miles in exactly the same place. Has anyone else had problems with these, or am I just unlucky? The second one (which broke today) came from a GT which a mate had bought as a breaker, so it wasn't brand new, but nonetheless, I'm surprised it's happened twice in exactly the same place in such a short space of time!

I've put a wanted ad up as I'm a bit reluctant for fork out in excess of £125 for a new one!

Offline Robga

• Members
Re: Problematic fuel rails?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 07:44:01 pm »
No mate never had the problem. How much slack have you got on the fuel hose? Check it isnt too tight. Cant think of any other reason it would crack unless you are just very unlucky!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 07:44:29 pm by H866MPR »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Re: Problematic fuel rails?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 09:08:11 pm »
no, never heard of that happening.  Check how flexible the short piece of rubber pipe that connects the fuel rail to the plastic pipe.  Also that the fuel pipe clip isn't too tight.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Problematic fuel rails?
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 10:19:18 am »
i had one i bought that had gone there... i think they may suffer if stored there - one swift whack and it'll come off!

Offline lance

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Problematic fuel rails?
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 01:58:33 pm »
one of the only problems i have not had, yea mate if its too tight it will break it with your engine moving about.

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Problematic fuel rails?
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:57:42 pm »
There appears to be a decent, but not excessive amount of slack in the pipe. It's actually split at the opposite side to what I'd expect if the pipe was too tight. I'm a bit stumped! Although I'm happy with the amount of slack in the pipe, I'll buy another one and cut it with an extra couple of inches on the pipe, just in case. Thanks for the thoughts, chaps!