Author Topic: Oil flashing light and water temperature.  (Read 1696 times)

Offline GR40

• Members
Oil flashing light and water temperature.
« on: September 27, 2014, 11:27:51 pm »
My g40 engined, eatoned arosa has just found a new way to piss me off. After a rather long period of solving little problems here and there the car has now a new gremlin. The engine was rebuild about 9000km ago but just recently and after the last gremlin of climbing temperature was seemingly resolved tonight after pushing it hard for around 5 to 6 km the oil light started flashing. Reduced my engine revs, flashed 3 times and it went away! In the meanwhile the water temperature raised to about 100 and dropped to normal after some rolling distance. Note that the ambient temperature here is around 20oC, and I am using eneos 10w40 fully synthetic oil in the engine. Any suggestions cause I was getting ready for bigger injectors and a custom map and this may not be healthy with a red flashing light on my dash.

Offline Alexiskayak_7

• Members
Re: Oil flashing light and water temperature.
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2014, 01:24:19 pm »
Alex, fit an oil cooler. I had the same problem with you. Even at  winter cold temps (0-5C)
The oil them was climbing up to 120 degrees with mid-heavy runs and at 3000rpm i had 1.5 bar oil pressure.
Now, i have a steady oil pressure and at heavy load runs (running like a maniac at the mounts of Epidavros) i could not see any more than 95 degrees...

This happens because the oil is getting to thin at high temps and the oil pump could not send the oil up to the cam (where the oil pressure sensor is plugged), thats why your oil pressure light flash...

Here is cheap oil cooler kit with thermostatic plate:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-Reihen-Olkuhler-Anschluss-Set-Thermostat-G60-G40-VR6-/201005768511?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Model%3APolo&hash=item2ecce09f3f&vxp=mtr

Its really worth the investment