Author Topic: Reinforced Belt  (Read 4609 times)

Offline SD_T

• Members
Reinforced Belt
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:26:13 pm »
Hey..

I often see people and/or rebuild kits talking about reinforced (or extra large) compressor belts, be it from Gates, Optibelt, whatever.

But as I can see, my compressor runs simultaneously 2 smaller belts, in the same pulleys of course, but in different pulley grooves.

Botton line is ... those extra large or reinforced belts: can I run them as is? Or do I need different pulleys so the wider belt will fit?

I am getting more and more concerned about my compressor belts, as they tend to slip, and sometimes when revving the gears higher, I get a rubber burning smell  :-\

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: Reinforced Belt
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 07:36:56 pm »
These belts that you have seen people talking about are the internal charger timing belt, i'd recommend replacing this one anyway. look at some g-lader photo's and you will see the belt we are talking about.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 07:40:37 pm »
if your belts are still slipping that much after being tightened up then they need replacing.  The standard v-belts will always slip a little bit at high rpm, some argue this is intentional to save over-revving the charger but I'm not convinced, I believe the use of v-belts was more to reduce engine noise than anything else.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 07:42:12 pm by hayesey »

Offline SD_T

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 08:24:25 pm »
This is the belts Im talking about...
pic stolen from PeteG40

Can I replace my standard belts by a larger one like this?

This is what mine look like
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:36:06 pm by SD_T »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:42:46 pm »
LOL, thats a timing belt pic (scroll shaft to top bearing).   Your bottom pic is the Vee belts (that spin the charger).  People are using surpentine or toothed belt pulley setups to use a toothed belt, they have converted the pulleys to them.  You have retro fit them on by buying off people here or on line.

The burning smell is belt slip on knackered belts.  Just replace them - cheap as chips and tension them properly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2010, 08:44:17 pm by hardchargin40 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 08:59:16 pm »
yeah that's a tiny little belt that goes inside the charger cover, you cant see it without removing the cover from the charger which requires removing the pulley too.  Replacing it is a good idea but it's nothing to do with the v-belts.

Offline SD_T

• Members
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »
Oh ok ...

My bad  :-[

For some reason I thought they serverd the same purpose.. hence my question on how would they fit.. now I know why they never would lol!

hardchargin: sorry for asking again but I'm not a brit so sometimes language is a barrier.. Do you mean I should just buy a new set of the ones I got? Or are they wrong for this kind of pulley?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2010, 09:10:20 pm »
Oh ok ...

My bad  :-[

For some reason I thought they serverd the same purpose.. hence my question on how would they fit.. now I know why they never would lol!

hardchargin: sorry for asking again but I'm not a brit so sometimes language is a barrier.. Do you mean I should just buy a new set of the ones I got? Or are they wrong for this kind of pulley?

Me ment new ones of the ones you have yes. they are very cheap from VW £15? and they will grip better, tensioning them will also reduce this.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 09:14:16 pm »
yes just buy new twin v-belts from Volkswagen, they will fit as they are just the standard ones. Shouldn't be expensive.

Offline SD_T

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:29 pm »
Thanks a bunch guys!

That cleared my head... they dont look that good so its no wonder that they are slippin to the point of burning a bit  :-\

To re-fit new ones, do I relieve the tension of the belts, and re-tension with the new ones?

I'm pretty much a noob around most of these issues, so bear with my ignorance and lack of expertise pls!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 09:21:00 pm »
yeah, loosen the bolts that hold the supercharger on and then you can push it down to slacken the belts, remove the old ones, slip the new ones on.  Then tension the charger up by pulling it up using a 1/2" drive ratchet in the 1/2" hole in the charger cover, pull it as tight as you can really, then while holding it tight, tighten up the bolts holding the charger on.

Offline SD_T

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »
Will do, Hayesey!

I was thinking if there was such a thing as too much tightening, but you answered before I even asked. I'm not seeing what hole in the charger you mean, but I will manage ;)

Thanks again, to everyone!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
it's just a square hole in the side of the charger cover. 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2010, 10:08:51 pm »
It goes on here mate as this will show easier

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 10:10:10 pm »
And belts are something around £21 from VW. Plus VAT.