Author Topic: G40 front shocks  (Read 1880 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
G40 front shocks
« on: May 22, 2012, 03:13:04 pm »
Hey guys does any one know how the front g40 shocks come to bits I'm trying to get the front springs off the shock but it doesn't seem to want to happen for me I've got the top but off but the rubber bit after the nut will not come off please help someone thanks

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: G40 front shocks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 04:58:05 pm »
That sounds a bit odd Matt; but be careful how you go with this. I'm assuming you've got spring compressors on and the strut removed. If so get a length of rope and get as many turns tightly round the coils as you can and tie it of tight. This'll make it safer to work on for starters. You can then start levering on the top mount between the mount and the top spring seat. There should only be a washer above the  top mount, the top mount itself and the upper spring seat. Not a lot to shift and usuallyready to part company.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: G40 front shocks
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 09:39:07 am »
it sounds like you need to remove the castle nut type thing from inside the rubber top mount.  There's a special tool for this or sometimes you can tap it round with a wide flat screwdriver or drift and a hammer.  Can help to compress the spring with spring compressors first too so there's no load behind the top cap.

I'd suggest getting a haynes manual too, it's all in there along with pictures and stuff.