Author Topic: rubbish mechanics!  (Read 4375 times)

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
rubbish mechanics!
« on: October 11, 2009, 06:45:40 pm »
right i just had some new suspension fitted by a local garage, spax vsx kit lowered 40mm,
got the car back and there is about an inch gap between the top mounts and the car,
and when i turn the steering wheel i can see and feel the suspension moving about!

im sure this isnt right, and was wondering what they could of done to cock it up?

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: rubbish mechanics!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 08:46:44 pm »
Laser Tools do one for VW/Audi for £7 if GSF can't come up with the goodies.

Offline sinister polo

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:05:48 pm »
cheers guys!

i bet the cheap bastards couldnt be botherd to buy the tool so thats why its bodged!
my cars of to gwerks next week anyway so il get them to fit!
this garage even had the cheek to tell me they were "floating" top mounts!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 10:46:48 pm »
do you really mean top mounts? you cant see the top mounts with the suspension on the car they're under the turret.  If you just mean the cap that sits on the very top (visible under the bonnet) then it's very common for them to sit a bit proud.  Usually replacing the actual top mounts helps but even then they sometimes don't sit tight against the metal and it's not really a problem.  But you're best off getting G-Werks to check it out as they'll know what to look for.

Offline sinister polo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 11:03:46 pm »
there the ones hayesey! i could understand if its a small gap but i can fit my finger under it with ease,
plus the issues with the steering, somethings not right!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
you probably need to replace the top mounts, would have been best to do it at the same time as putting the suspension on but hindsights a great thing isn't it  ;D

Not too sure what the other problem you describe is, when you say you can see and feel the suspension moving as you steer what exactly do you mean?  Do you mean the spring is moving about in the seat?

Offline sinister polo

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 05:35:36 pm »
well basically with the bonnet up, you can see that when you turn the steering wheel say to the right the suspension will clonk and move over to the right very slightly.
and there also seems to be alot of movement in the steering wheel, ie. up and down side to side which when you move it around you can see the top of the suspension moving aswell!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 07:28:29 pm »
well the suspension moving like that sounds like worn out top mounts, suspension needs to come off again to replace them though :(

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:37:44 pm »
I wonder if they've changed the inserts to suit the shorter springs. Can you shift the springs about by hand with the car on the ground? If it was original shockers the strut thread is a x1.5, most aftermarket inserts are x1. An easy check.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:31 pm »
i have a gap like that and mine were fitted with new top mounts from vag..my kit is an H&R cup kit.  i think its failry common and depends on the set up.  ive done a good few thousand miles (56K) without issues now..

Offline jgb888

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 07:27:12 pm »
Where is the best place to get some good top mounts from cos i'm about to change mine and would hate to have to do it all over again, also is there anything else that is worth doig when everything is off bushes etc etc
cheers

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 07:36:15 pm »
i'd say vw for top mounts, £50 a pair.

bump stops maybe, if poor nick

Offline jgb888

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:27:11 pm »
Cheers pete, i use a company called german swedish for alot of parts i'll try there as well

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 07:42:02 pm »
gsf - watch the quality there... some is good german stuff, some is mass produced shit