Author Topic: axle stands and jacking points  (Read 6341 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
axle stands and jacking points
« on: January 02, 2010, 09:40:35 pm »
  ok right ive come to a point where i thought it would be really handy to have the car off the ground so i can work under it, so i have purchased some axle stands 4 of them and have jacked the car up placed a block of wood on each axle stand and put an axle stand in each corner now although it was a bit dodgy to get it up there using a trolley jack , its now up on axle stands in my garage ready for me to start working on , the axle stands are 2.5 tonne ones and a couple of 3 tonne ones
  i then carried on cleaning up and whilst doing this found the instructions for the axle stands and looking on the DO NOT section it said DO NOT USE 4 STANDS AT THE SAME TIME . i thought this to be stragne as in my mind it seemed reasonably safe. so ive researched a little and in the haynes book for the polo it says jacking the car up and supporting it with axle stands is ok supporting the car in the jacking points on the sills with a block of wood with a groove inbetween.
  Although my search of the internet returned many different bits of advise lots of people says its very dangerous and the axle stands can give way very easily and without warning, they also say there very unstable and the car can fall over if lent on or knocked in the prosses of working . im not sure if this is true on a polo as it is quite light but just wondered of anyone else has supported there car like this and worked underneatt ? or if any one had any good tips or advise i want to be safe working under the car and would like the underside to be easily accessable all the way along the car for quite a while whilst i change the exhuast fit a subframe remove and overhaul the rear axle beam and the brakes

what do you guys think ?? seemed ok to me am i being niave?

Offline cheddarcheese

• Members
  • i like boobs!
    • supercharged
Re: axle stands and jacking points
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 10:14:20 pm »
I dont like to be under the car with other people around when using axle stands but i do it all the time on my own!

I have removed an engine and had people working in the car doing interior things while being on 4 axle stands never had a problem!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 10:16:06 pm by cheddarcheese »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 11:47:25 pm »
4 axle stands is super dangerous, and to be underneath it at the time, not a chance, your asking to die

if all 4 stands are in use, then nothing is holding the car sturdy, contrary to how much it may weigh, its still a weight i would not want on my head!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 12:04:16 am »
What would you suggest dknight?? It's not a weight I fancy on my head either realy if any ones got any ideas of a safer method that would be great!

Offline sinister polo

• Members
  • drive it like u stole it
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 12:07:39 am »
iv used a few sets of old steelies iv had lying around in the past,
just lay the wheels flat underneath the car a couple wheels high,
bit pikey but does the job and seemed fairly stable.

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 12:14:51 am »
I'd say it's pretty leathal having it all on stands...the worry for me would be the car tipping over to one side if the weight shifts to one side.  I'd suggest you take the time to move the stands to front and back as and when you need access.  I.e if your doing the rear brakes then have the rear up only and do that.  Its not like its a five minute job.  Then when you fit the subframe have the front up.  That's the way I'd do it personally, much safer.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 12:18:41 am »
yeah in the past i have done the same as spaniel, but anytime i work under the car i always throw a spare wheel or 2 under there, just incase it goes and it will take some of the weight

a poor old chap we knew round here was working under his car and his trolley jack just blew a seal or something, and down came the car on him, he was found dead later on, and lets just say it wasnt instant.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:29:19 am »
Yea I do see what you mean maybe I'll just do one side at a time , was just trying to make my life a little easier as my garage is tiny!! Not even sure I'm going to bother changing the exhuast ATM I've got a 2.25 powerflow and I've also got a 2.5 philj system wich I was going to fit but I doubt I'll bother changing for the extra .25 of an inch

Offline benh999

• Members
  • K776PKR finally back home
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 11:35:25 am »
I think the answer is right there as already stated, if you want it off the ground on all four corners, go to the scrap yard get some old steels with tyres and stack them.  A lot safer than axle stands just down to the fact you are spreading the load over a greater area and the area of a steel makes it a lot safer/more stable than axle stands. 

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:14:32 pm »
i have had cars on 4 stands in my unit but thats on really good stands on a really level painted floor. you could always put the back wheels up on ramps if you want it in the air but not the wheels off.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 02:56:54 pm »
I've taken it of the stands and got the front on ramps now and stands underneath just incase, although the floor of my guarage is perfectly level and nice even concrete just though it would b handy as had a few jobs to do wich required the car of the floor.
Just outa intrest lance what a axle stands you got ?? I could do with a better pair realy

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 03:07:39 pm »
the ones i use are older than me! but very good. i have some others that are good, draper, http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/sp-75-4672-36067-draper-2-tonne-pair-of-axle-stands.asp    them ones i think.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »
Built my whole car on 4 axle stands and never had a problem. I usually have an additional trolley jack jacked up near my heed though just in case something happens.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 03:45:27 pm »
I had mine up on 4 stands for about two years in my garage too while I was doing all sorts of work on it.  Although it is a properly flat concrete floor.

But hwat people are saying about the possibility of the car sliding on the top of the stands makes sense though.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 03:51:47 pm »
my polo fell on top of me whilst under it . it had no engine but still hurt my chest . stupidly i used 2 jacks ! lucky i had a friend with me