Author Topic: Unique Stainless Steel Backbox  (Read 3789 times)

Offline dubstar

• Members
  • PY 'til I die
Unique Stainless Steel Backbox
« on: November 27, 2011, 10:04:49 pm »
Hi guys,

I have a stainless steel prototype backbox that I made for my race-spec mini, which I took off because (to be frank) it was too loud! It's fair to say that this was the only silencer in the system at the time. It is a straight through silencer with a small expansion chamber before the packed section which goes through to the end. I fabricated a triple-pass unit instead after that and things got more bearable. It would be easily adaptable for a polo i'm sure, or anything else with 2"O.D. pipework. It's just not in keeping with the Polo I'm building at present, hence the sale. With a mid box in place and maybe a catalyst too (if you run one), it would be fine noise wise.

I worked for a stainless steel exhaust manufacturer in the prototype / development department at the time, so I can assure you that a). it's a complete one off, and b). it's built professionally and to last. Before the mini made it off the dyno from initial setup, I'd made another one, hence why my fabrication pen marks are still on it!

It needs a polish - that's it. Being a 100% 304 grade construction, it will buff up really well if you have the time or take it to a polishing outfit. If you're doing it yourself, for best results start with a sisle mop with the coarser soap, then move on to a cotton mop with the fine soap.

See my sketch with all dimensions. Any questions or anything i've missed, fire me a email or PM. If there's any interst on here - great! If not, I'll put it on eBay in a couple of weeks.

After £85, collected from Manchester (near Trafford Centre) or i'll post it for a tenner on top.

Thanks,

Ross.  :)