Author Topic: g40 engine in a mk2 polo  (Read 2199 times)

Offline darkartist_13

• Members
g40 engine in a mk2 polo
« on: July 05, 2012, 10:58:12 pm »
just basically want to put a g40 engine inside my mk2 coupe , was contemplating running it on a turbo too , Kiz told me on clubpolo the PY G40 engine would be perfect for this , is the supercharger worth having on over the turbo for any reasons ? or is turbo a good route to go down ?> also just wanting some advice and help on a shopping list of parts im gonna need if any one can help out at all , any help or alike would be appreciated , thanks

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: g40 engine in a mk2 polo
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2012, 09:55:48 am »
welcome to the forum. 

supercharger or turbo are kind of down to personal preference really.  They are quite different to drive.  The turbo can make more power though. Putting an engine in with the supercharger will be easier as it's just all standard stuff where as turbo will require a certain amount of fabrication and making things fit together that don't necessarily fit together all that well!  I can't really answer the question for you, what do you want out of the car in the end?

As for shopping lists of parts, there are plenty of threads about for g40 conversions and turbo conversions (using k03 turbos usually) on here already if you search.

Offline darkartist_13

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2012, 02:30:01 pm »
welcome to the forum. 

supercharger or turbo are kind of down to personal preference really.  They are quite different to drive.  The turbo can make more power though. Putting an engine in with the supercharger will be easier as it's just all standard stuff where as turbo will require a certain amount of fabrication and making things fit together that don't necessarily fit together all that well!  I can't really answer the question for you, what do you want out of the car in the end?

As for shopping lists of parts, there are plenty of threads about for g40 conversions and turbo conversions (using k03 turbos usually) on here already if you search.

cheers man :D
i may just do it with the supercharger first to get it running and happy , then move onto the turbo after that , i will look into said threads and see what i can find , are you still running wilwood 4 pots on yours ? would they be something to consider too for extra braking ? or would they just be too much messing about ? thanks for response though :P

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2012, 02:45:23 pm »
yes I have wilwoods on my g40 turbo.  I'd said they aren't really necessary for road use, they are bloody good though.  Normally, when driving a G40, when you get back in a "normal" car you are surprised with how good the brakes are.  With the wilwoods it is the other way round they are very good brakes.  I use the car for track days and they are well worth it there, on the road I'm not so sure, I'd probably stick with 239mm brakes and some decent quality pads (Ferodo DS2000 or 2500 are good).

if you get hold of an engine that has the g-lader already with it then yeah I do that.  If you get an engine with out the supercharger then I'm not sure.  On one hand it's good to get it running as close to standard as possible so you can make sure you have a good base to start doing highly customised things such as converting to turbo.  But on the other hand, buying a supercharger, running it for a short time and then converting to turbo will be more expensive! 

Offline darkartist_13

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2012, 11:26:38 pm »
yes I have wilwoods on my g40 turbo.  I'd said they aren't really necessary for road use, they are bloody good though.  Normally, when driving a G40, when you get back in a "normal" car you are surprised with how good the brakes are.  With the wilwoods it is the other way round they are very good brakes.  I use the car for track days and they are well worth it there, on the road I'm not so sure, I'd probably stick with 239mm brakes and some decent quality pads (Ferodo DS2000 or 2500 are good).

if you get hold of an engine that has the g-lader already with it then yeah I do that.  If you get an engine with out the supercharger then I'm not sure.  On one hand it's good to get it running as close to standard as possible so you can make sure you have a good base to start doing highly customised things such as converting to turbo.  But on the other hand, buying a supercharger, running it for a short time and then converting to turbo will be more expensive! 

awesome ! cheers man :D