Author Topic: Starting a car that has been sat in a garage for the nearly five years  (Read 2565 times)

Offline NeilG40

• Members
Has anybody got any recommendations for what to do when starting a car that's not been running in a while, I've turned the engine by hand and the oil was changed just before I took it off the road and that still looks clean.

Thanks

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
Re: Starting a car that has been sat in a garage for the nearly five years
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 06:17:45 pm »
Id probably say (though i maybe wrong on this), exactly what you've done. but maybe pull the fuel pump relay and dry crank it first  to get the oil flowing nicely and to the charger, before putting some decent petrol in it then start as normal.  or disconnect the charger from the aux belt and start like that?

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 06:26:27 pm »
Yeah I was thinking about removing the relay.  For the time being I just want to drive it out onto the drive so that I can wash all the dust off it.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 06:50:51 pm »
Maybe worthwhile pulling the plugs and putting some lube spray in above the pistons before you crank it on the starter. Same with the charger; add spray at cranking speed. Then give it a whirl before re-fitting plugs.

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 07:06:42 pm »
Could you be more specific when you say lube spray, I've got some ptfe would that be any good?

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 07:42:38 pm »
just wd40 mate. leave to soak for a littler bit the a little more before you turn it over with the plugs still out.

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 08:07:33 pm »
I've got some gt85 would that be ok?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »
personally I wouldnt think twice about firing it right up, letting it idle for 10 seconds, then driving it down the road. I have dismantled engines that have been sat about for years doing nothing and the pistons/rings etc are usually all still coated with oil, if there was any pitting in the bores due to moisture then the damage is done anyway, but that is highly unlikely. But its certainly not a bad idea to pull the fuel pump relay out and crank it over for a few seconds, especially for the supercharger like people say. Make sure you dont have your foot on the throttle when starting it though, best to let it do nothing but idle for a good 10 seconds.

Its german, im sure it will be fine lol. I bought a beetle that had been sat in a shabby lockup for 10 years, it was rotten like a vegatable, but we freed the brakes, dragged it back home and with a pair of jump leads I started it up and drove it on the 10 year old fuel that was in the tank! Although a beetle will probably run on paraffin lol.