Author Topic: Engine won't rev properly??  (Read 1945 times)

Offline Merrick

• Members
Engine won't rev properly??
« on: February 20, 2015, 05:33:08 pm »
Cars developed a new fault now... When I apply full throttle it struggles to Rev and pops and bangs like its misfiring. It revs fine when I apply the throttle slowly. I've had a check and can't see anything obvious. Every now and then when I plant my foot its fine. Any ideas??? Cheers

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Engine won't rev properly??
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 04:28:49 pm »
Assuming it's being caused by ignition breakdown, there's quite a lot it could be but I'd start by checking the following:

- spark plugs.  Are they in good condition and the correct ones (Bosch W5DPO or equivalents).
- ignition coil.  If it's an old one then it's a good idea to replace.  It's the same coil used on loads of vw group engines such as 6n polo so they don't tend to be that expensive
- hall sending in the distributor, check the condition of the connector.  You can replace this part without replacing the whole dizzy, just be very careful getting the roll pin out and in of the plastic wheel.  Alternatively, get a dizzy from a multi-point injection 6n polo.

Offline Merrick

• Members
Re: Engine won't rev properly??
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »
Cheers dude!!! Much appreciated!! Tried a new coil pack as everything else was new this morning and low and behold it was that :-) happy days!! Thanks again!!