Author Topic: ATV Differential  (Read 1483 times)

Offline richierich

• Members
ATV Differential
« on: November 22, 2011, 07:48:33 pm »
ok soo after getting the box apart ive found out a few problems with it and need help sorceing parts if anyone can help,

what im after are
5th gear needle bearing,
output shaft end bearings and maybe shimms if required,
a 8p fifth gear,
and a diff (i have a 6n 16v box kicking around is it wise to use this diff? or what company do diffs other then quaife?)

Any advice would be a great help

thanks richie

Offline prankstar2003

• Members
Re: ATV Differential
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 07:29:04 am »
From what I've heard, the 6n boxes have faily weak differentials. So swapping one in wouldn't be a wise move. Apparently there is a repair kit for them though whereby you swap the rivets for bolts, but don't quote me on that

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 10:07:04 am »
5th gear needle bearing,
output shaft end bearings and maybe shimms if required,

get these from VW

a 8p fifth gear

if you really want this then get it from a 2nd hand box, price for a new one will be obscene

and a diff

which part of the diff?  I have various spare bits of standard g40 ones knocking about.  You can't use one from just any box, you need one that also has a bolted on crown wheel (which limits you to gt, g40 and a few very late spec 1.3CL boxes, perhaps some 6n ones will do too?).  If you want a limited slip diff then you can either get a plate-diff from Gripper (but these really aren't ideal for a daily driver - best for track though) or an ATB diff from Quaife (which are better for daily driving but wont give you as much grip on track).  Depends what you use the car for.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 10:08:43 am »
also, if you need the G40 diff crown wheel then you will have to find a g40 one as others will be a different final drive ratio.  And I don't have any of these spare I'm afraid.

Offline richierich

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2011, 08:51:12 pm »
ok so im goin to ring our local vw to try get the bearings

the 5th gear may prove difficult then as cannot find a spare box as i say got the cwx box but im guessing the ratio will be wrong ???

HAYESEY... its the cogs in the middle of the diff that are chipped and scored badly, do the diffs come appart then as ive not touched it because i was told you need percision tools to take them appart?

thanks for advice

richie

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 09:34:02 am »
yeah the diff comes apart very easily.  Just a case of manoeuvring the cage inside so the planet gears come out.  Pretty certain the planet gears and diff internals are the same in all the 085 diffs.  I have some spares if you need them.

Certainly ask vw how much a new 8p 5th gear would be but I'd expect £150-£200.  Can't believe that no one on clubpolo has a spare dead 8p with a good 5th in it though.  One from a CEG will be the same too, not sure what a CWX box is.

Offline richierich

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2011, 09:51:07 pm »
Cheers mate im going to take this polo 16v box apart and see if the diff in that is the same and if i can bolt the crown wheel onto that one if its ok!!

ive also found an 8p gearbox on clubpolo well fingers crossed im pickin that up on sunday

thanks richie