Author Topic: GT Camshaft in NZ  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
GT Camshaft in NZ
« on: November 23, 2011, 06:56:15 pm »
Its possible that Clubpolo may be the better place to ask but has anyone on here
Had a H-reg or otherwise with an NZ engine setup & maybe installed a GT camshaft.

My Headgasket has gone on my Genisis 1.3 single point injection so while in bits i`m thinking of putting
all the bits i have from an NZ, injector rail, ISV on water pipe, Ecu & engine bay loom, throttle body ect ect
on the car.

I have a cylinder head & cam from an NZ but i also have a GT head & cam. Now i know heads are the same
& the differences between them & so on but! thinking that the GT Cam & head are a pair and is possibly a
better idea than just putting the GT cam in say my own AAV head.

I do have the rest of the GT engine but sadly the bores we`re allowed to rust a bit before i collected it so
it needs stripping & sorting. I don`t really have the money for that right now.

I`ve been told that NZ`s pulled better than the single point AAV`s and is better for slight performance
mods so hence my plan.

One thing i`m not sure of is, Etka gives different part numbers for NZ & AAV pistons but i`m fairly sure
they are the same. Someone suggested this was so they could charge more for Parts on certain models.
I know AAU for the 1Ltr are very different having the squishband casting on the crown.
I did a headgasket for somebody with an NZ a couple of years back and the pistons just looked the same as
my old saloon HZ code  i think it was.
They we`re lead to believe they had bought a GT engined Loon but soon as i saw the pistons i looked at the
engine code & sure enough it was NZ.

So does anyone think i`ll have issues putting the NZ parts on my AAV.
It`s also possible that i`ll need to chip it for the GT cam but i havn`t looked into that yet.

Any idea`s and comments most welcome.

Fred. 

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: GT Camshaft in NZ
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 08:11:35 pm »
Yeah, sounds like a plan!
Plenty of people have put GT injection onto an AAV before, plus the cam, myself included. Ran pretty well for me and certainly a nice step up from the SPI. NZ should be near enough the same with the GT cam. Shouldn't really need a chip either, though of course it'd be ideal if you could get a smidge more fuel added in to take into account the wilder cam.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 01:09:28 pm »
Thanks for that fella. I`ll NZ it then for a start.

I`ll assume the 2 butterflies in the throttle body are two stage by where one opens with more throttle
for the higher revs.

are they reasonably good on fuel untill you cane it.
My single point as it was is fairly good but as i`m sure everybody is aware a tenner in the tank doesn`t
put that much in anymore.

Infact i was very shocked the other day when very low into the red that i put my last tenner in and
it didn`t even make the 1st mark above red. Robbin hoods. And i didn`t get that many miles from it
before it was mostly gone. It even made me check the slightly rusty tank for leaks lol.

So by the sounds of things i could either or put the NZ setup on or even the GT setup.
Though the GT ECU has a Fahrvergnugen chip in it so with the lower compression than the gt engine
could that be fatal.

My AAV engine has just passed 60k miles and feels pretty good otherwise.

Fred.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »
Yeah, you're right on the butterflies.
I must admit the best fuel consumption I've had was with the SPI kit on the AAV engine. However, I'm sure whether I realise it or not my driving habits have probably changed over the various incarnations of this engine - SPI->GT->G40+turbo.
I had a Fah.......... chip in mine with the GT management and it was fine, the only exception was a very slight lean misfire around 2000rpm on very low load. I ran the wideband on that setup for about 8 months and never saw it at a dangerous afr. Actually if you can justify it a wideband is a very good idea as given their age there are a fair few dodgy sensors, AFMs and throttle body sensors around. I found my throttle body sensor had a weird dodgy segment on the resistive track about motorway cruise load - it would go open circuit and send the ECU into 'get me home' mode and bung in tons of fuel. I fixed it and gained 3mpg!