Author Topic: no drive to wheels  (Read 2153 times)

Offline Craig g

• Members
no drive to wheels
« on: November 30, 2012, 11:24:42 am »
Got the g running and was running pretty spot so decided to take it for a spin, there was a slight jundering when pulling away in each gear (was worse on steering lock), any after warming it up decided to put my foot down and finally find out what its like to drive a g40 but as I changed into 2nd I lost all drive to the wheels there was no bad crunching or grinding noises, the car will still go into gear just won't pull.
I put the car on axle stands to get under and have a look everything looks normal and when the car is started and put in gear the wheels spin freely inless on full lock to the left where they judder slightly. Any ideas?

Offline cheys03

• Members
Re: no drive to wheels
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 11:28:58 am »
Have a look at the clutch release arm on the gearbox. Is it towards to front of the bay or stuck towards the back?

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 02:31:00 pm »
Its to the front but I've kinda ruled that out because if I try pull away the speedo still goes up just I dnt go anywhere :S

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 02:45:48 pm »
Are your CV joints all intact?
What happens if you jack the front end up and spin one of the front wheels around?

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 03:06:27 pm »
Yhh they're both pretty new and both wheels spin, that's what's confusing me the only time they won't work is when the car is hold its own wieght

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »
I don't think he meant how old are your CV joints, I think he meant are they still in one piece :)

The speedo working kinda suggests it a CV or a driveshaft. 

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:41:58 pm »
My bad, and I have spares so I'll swap them over tomorrow.
If only one went would it cause no drive to both wheels?

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 05:16:42 pm »
Yes, the stock diff will drive the wheel with the least resistance. In this case the one with the broken drive shaft or CV.  With them off the floor neither have enough and there's probably enough friction to turn them with no weight being taken.

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2012, 12:16:14 pm »
I've changed both driveshafts including inner and outer cv joints and still nothing, there's a sort of rubbing noise when trying to pull away :S, I dnt really know a lot about gearboxes but I'm fearing some sort of rebuild before I've even had chance to properly drive the g :(

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2012, 12:35:51 pm »
If you turn the passenger side wheel whilst the front end is up in the air, what does the driver's side do?

My earlier comments were aimed at establishing whether you've got CV/driveshaft issues, or whether the diff is dead.

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2012, 01:47:51 pm »
With both wheels off the ground when you spin one the other spins aswel.
Yhh I realised afterwards, how hard is it to change th diff if its go as I can't see it being anythings else at the moment

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
what andy was asking was which way does the other driveshaft spin when you spin one. they should turn the opposite way not the same way IIRC.

sounds like the diff has given up. should be spares about as people have upgraded to LSDs

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 06:12:47 pm »
As Kiz said, if it's a standard diff each of the wheels should spin in opposite directions. If it's an LSD they should spin the same way.

In the gearboxes with failed standard diffs I've had, either you can't spin the wheels in the air; or only one wheel turns; or it behaves like an LSD.

Offline Craig g

• Members
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2012, 12:38:03 am »
Yhh sounds like the diffs gone then, cheers for the help lads I'll put up a wanted post