Author Topic: Aquamist  (Read 3049 times)

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
Aquamist
« on: December 09, 2009, 09:01:56 pm »
Just a couple of questions about aquamist
costly I've read in a book that when methanol and water mix gets on alumnium it leaves a White powdery deposit on it and therefore can fuck up a cylinder head any one had this problem? How lung have people been running aquamist and have they seen any sings if this or is what ideas a complete load of crap!
Secondly would it work using aquamist to spray a mist of methanol/water at the intercooler to drop the charge temp due to the evaporating of the methanol removing some if the temp, it was just a thought I had as I cleaned my intercooler with brake cleaner and when ituched it after it was very very cold any one herd of this before does it work or is this idea majorly flawed?!!?
Let me know whAt you all think

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Aquamist
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 10:52:52 pm »
I've not known anyone to have oxidising issues with methanol injection, I suspect you'd have to b injecting too high a methanol-to-water ratio or using too big jets for that to happen.  Never go more than a 50:50 mix, never more methanol in the mix than water.

Spraying onto the intercooler will increase the efficiency of the intercooler but it generally wont cool the charge down as much as injecting into the boost pipes.  Plus you wont get the extra knock resistance benefits you get from having some methanol in the air & fuel mix inside the engine.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 04:04:20 pm »
The injectors i got were full of green crap which ive had to clean out but i need to get some new ones. The ones ive found are sold in ml. what size do i need?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 04:46:45 pm »
ml as in millilitres or do you mean mm i.e. millimeters?  I get mine from ERL who measure them in mm and I use 0.3mm ones.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 06:00:13 pm »
I bought a nozzle off a garden sprayer to make a water injection setup with, never got round to doing it lol.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
probably for the best  :D

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2010, 12:00:41 pm »
I'm sure it's milli litres. There's a 60ml and 120ml (smallest two).

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2010, 12:06:32 pm »
I'm looking here :

www.snowperformance.eu

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2010, 04:42:21 pm »
probably for the best  :D

;D

As a lover of all things crude but effective, i was just going to pressurise a washer bottle with boost, so when your on boost it sprays water in, the more boost you run the more water it sprays in. You cant inject as much water as with an automated kit as you dont have as much pressure to work with, but for about a fiver I wouldnt mind  ;D  could always fit 2  ;)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 04:45:31 pm by Tommo »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2010, 05:53:22 pm »
Tommo- the boost pressure in the pipe and bottle would be the same though... and you wouldn't inject anything...

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 06:07:16 pm »
You inject it before the comp wheel, where pressure is negative.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 10:06:28 pm »

the methanol will eat away the compressor blades

in fact the water/methanol droplet will kill the blades due to the impact forces when the compressor wheel is spinning.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 10:18:25 pm »
does the methanol no eat away at the aluminuim head as it goes through the ports aswell ??

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 12:15:39 am »

the methanol will eat away the compressor blades

in fact the water/methanol droplet will kill the blades due to the impact forces when the compressor wheel is spinning.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 12:18:51 am »
Im not sure about methanol, but water is fine, people have been doing it for years.

The major drawback is the water can condense in your intercooler, so you are limited to how much you can inject. Although if its cool enouygh in there for condensation then you could argue you dont need it anyway. The other alternative is to run without an intercooler and use the WI as a substitute.