Author Topic: blue smoke on acceleration???????  (Read 2151 times)

Offline tomsg40

• Members
blue smoke on acceleration???????
« on: June 27, 2011, 12:43:53 pm »
alrite i took the g out couple of days ago and as i was driving the car felt like it lost power so i really gently drove home the next day started it up it was all fine then bout 15mins into driving it bluey black smoke started coming out the exhaust and round 2000-3000rpm it was losing power then it would kick in then the smoke disappeared when idleing and would return when put your foot 3/4 way down on accelerator pedal any ideas would be great

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: blue smoke on acceleration???????
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 12:49:08 pm »
rings or charger seals i would think. get a compression test done.

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:22:50 pm »
well just drove down the road came back nothing at moment but iv got jabbasport air filter on and theres oil coming out dripping onto the heat shield bit???

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 01:30:36 pm »
thats probs seals you reckon?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 01:44:55 pm »
probably charger seals then, take a boost hose off and see what's in there

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »
ye theres oil in there, so thats wat the blue smoke is then, my mates goin to do the compression test in bit, wats involved with the seals is there a link where i can get idea whats involved in doing it?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 04:56:14 pm »
how much oil?  a coating is OK, if it's dripping out then there's something wrong. 

There is a post in an FAQ section somewhere about doing charger seals.

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 05:05:09 pm »
quite alot mate enough to make puddle on floor iv just spent day cleaning it its def not right.
ye just read peteg40 one pretty good info, apart from the seals is there anything that i will need to get to replace if i decide to do it myself and why does he put it in the oven?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 05:34:35 pm »
puts it in the oven to make the casing expand so it's possible to get the centre bearing out.

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »
ok well just done compresion test and two out of the four are 100psi below wat they should be so it looks like im stripping it tmw, my mate is worried that there might be metal fragments that have worked there way into the pistons maybe from the charger but i know theres a mesh grille to stop bits coming from the intercooler is there anything the other end does anyone know?

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 08:01:37 pm »
maybe rings broken. take out your plugs and turn the car over and see if theres anything fly's out the holes, but most probably went out the exhaust or stuck to the tops of pistons and head with the heat. and drain the oil and see if theres fagments of metal in it.
once you take of the head you will see any damage if any. might be the gasket gone.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2011, 08:47:45 pm »
What where the actual results?

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 09:58:58 pm »
errrrrr i think 175psi on the good ones i think? iv got quite bad memory :-\

Offline tomsg40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 10:05:15 pm »
maybe rings broken. take out your plugs and turn the car over and see if theres anything fly's out the holes, but most probably went out the exhaust or stuck to the tops of pistons and head with the heat. and drain the oil and see if theres fagments of metal in it.
once you take of the head you will see any damage if any. might be the gasket gone.

ye i think thats the plan for tmw im taking all charger pipes of and charger itself and then rocker cover then prob drain the oil have a look see if i can see anything mate just my luck aswell i was spose to be selling her so i can get a van haha oh well

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 10:44:19 pm »
175 is more than I'd expect.  I'd not be worried unless it was down to 100psi or less.  I really doubt this is anything but a charger seal.