Author Topic: Possible gearbox dying…?  (Read 975 times)

Offline cheys03

• Members
Possible gearbox dying…?
« on: February 16, 2010, 10:31:18 pm »
I’ve tried to do some troubleshooting...

I have a whine on my Mk3 that as far as I can tell only occurs between 29 and 32 mph. It appears to be coming from the front nearside at the gearbox. It’s been there for nearly 2 years though so far!

The pitch of the noise is the same in 3rd, 4th and 5th and only changes with road speed (pitch is higher with increase in speed). If holding speed or increasing speed, the noise is present, but not when slowing down.
Pressing the clutch silences the noise, as does putting the box in neutral.

I’ve changed the gearbox oil about 6 months ago which made the box feel better, but no change to the noise. I don’t know any clutch history, for all I know it is the factory original (44k when I got the car). Gear changes are no problem though, clutch feels fine. Car is currently on 67k.

The gearbox is a CEG, late 5 speed. At the CP RR day the graph showed a large difference between engine and wheel bhp (high tranmission losses?).

Any thoughts much appreciated. Is this the differential in the box slowly giving out? Or could it be something weird with the front wheel bearing or CV joint (neither of which have been replaced afaik)?