Author Topic: Full PPP system, including manifold Price drop 8th Aug  (Read 7061 times)

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Full PPP system, including manifold Price drop 8th Aug
« on: July 17, 2015, 09:40:13 pm »
What is it?
My PPP exhaust system, bought in a group buy two years ago. So that's a four-branch manifold with the extra clearance for a charger with toothed belts, into a full 63mm system with two boxes (so the quieter option). It has two captive nuts for lambdas, so you can run a wideband, and frees up some extra power at the top end. To give you some idea of the quality, Simpson Race Exhausts (one of the UK's best) said the manifold was one of the most impressive they'd ever seen. A masterpiece, apparently.

Condition
I had this fitted last January, then became a Dad in March. My car isn't a daily, and doesn't have ISOFIX so can't carry a child seat. Why is that relevant? Because this had done somewhere in the region of 1,500-2,000 miles when it was removed. It's practically brand new, just a bit dirty and with the usual tarnishing which happens almost instantly anyway. The only difference with mine is that the back box has been cut off and neatly re-attached (don't ask, it's a long story).

How much?
The manifold is immaculate, so I'm looking for £380ono. It's off the car and ready to go.
The rest of the system is immaculate apart from the extra join. I'm after £320ono for this, and I'll throw in a blanking plug for the lambda if I can find it in the garage. It's still at the workshop at the moment, but I'll be able to collect it in the next few days.
Obviously I'm prepared to negotiate a bit if I can sell the whole lot in one go.

Where is it?
I'm located in Cardiff, but I travel a lot with work. My office is in St Albans, so I can meet you anywhere along the Cardiff-London stretch of the M4, or on the M25, or near the office if you want. I've got appointments at CarFest North, in the Cotswolds and more coming up. Try me.

Pictures
Coming soon, I'll get some when I have the whole system in the garage. Obviously if you're desperate to see the manifold then I can take some of that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2015, 10:28:30 am by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Full PPP system, including manifold
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 09:39:48 pm »
Some photos for you.

Here's the exhaust system without the manifold. 63mm bore all the way through, slightly tarnished and a bit grubby because it's been underneath the car.

It's separated into two pieces, so easy to transport. This is the backbox, showing the repair I mentioned in the first post. There's a set of hangers in the bag, plus the gasket for the flange and a mount.

Centre section is mint:

Extra lambda nut:

Here's the manifold, which is also mint. They change colour as soon as you use them, so if you buy a new one it'll look like this within a few days:

Here's the whole system assembled.

Here's what it looks like under the bonnet:

And a video:
https://youtu.be/Knomz_HH9F0?t=23s
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:45:18 pm by Alex »

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Full PPP system, including manifold NOW WITH PICS
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
For the record, there's more negotiation room on the system than there is on the manifold.

I'm a realist and I accept that the repair job makes it less desirable. It also recognises that I haven't test-fitted it, following the repair. I have neither the time or tools to do so, so it's sold as seen.

To be 100% clear, I see no reason why it wouldn't fit - it's been cut off and re-welded back on, the lines in the steel match up, etc - but I can't guarantee it. The price and the negotiation room is an acknowledgement of that. If you had to bugger about with it - cut it off again and get extra metal put in - then you'll still be quids in. There's no guarantee that any second-hand custom-made system will fit straight onto your car.

I don't want to put people off, I'd just prefer for you to know what you're looking at here.

The manifold is as new, just with the typical tarnishing, hence asking about 90% of the new price. You also don't have to wait months for a group buy.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:13:02 pm »
I've just checked the bracket for the backbox as it occurred to me that I wasn't using the original hangers for this system. It's been modified.

This is how it looks as standard:

One of the two hooks has been cut off, and there's a right-angled bracket which enables this to be supported by a bracket which is behind the back bumper on a Mk3 Polo. Before you write this off as a deal-breaker, go and check what condition your exhaust hangers are in. They're shit.

As this means it won't be a DIY job unless you can weld stainless, I'm open to negotiation on the system. Worst case scenario - to put the hook back on and tweak the backbox fitment (which it might not need anyway) - I can't see this costing more than about £50 to fix. But obviously I appreciate it's a ballache etc.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:59:58 am »
I can vouch for polo hangers being shit (the ones on the chassis- I'm not talking about PPP's one on the backbox). Best thing you can do is what Alex has done in my opinion! Standard rear hangers are a waste of time on the polo, 90% of the ones I've had snap, rot or just bend repetitively allowing the exhaust to drop off.

Alex, I'd say it's a bonus if anything, the buyer could always buy a new exhaust strap for a tenner and just slip that over the backbox if they wanted to use original mounts.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2015, 10:28:06 am »
£280 for the system
£350 for the manifold

Offline g40dabbsy

• Members
Re: Full PPP system, including manifold Price drop 8th Aug
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 09:27:25 pm »
i must say that manifold does look like a work of art compared to some of the stainless 4branches on the market

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 01:06:30 pm »
Compared to just about all of them to be honest. There's nothing better for a G40, that's for definite, and certainly nothing at this price.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2015, 12:29:47 pm »
Bump

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:15:38 pm »
PM sent...

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2015, 10:57:01 am »
Manifold sold.

Still taking offers on the system!

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2015, 11:51:05 pm »
OK, so now looking at £250ono for the system. Knock-down price, that.

Offline G40 BAD

• Members
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2015, 10:58:35 pm »
Hi mate is it all still for sale if so please can you call me thanks Gary. 07786682576

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 10:21:38 pm »
Sold a couple of weeks ago sorry... haven't had time to update the thread.