Author Topic: valve guides  (Read 3685 times)

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
Re: valve guides
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 03:05:08 pm »
Ahh... i see...
Has anyone got pictures of a fine ported head?

does it matter the shape of the ports?

What does the term gas flowing indicate? particular measurements?

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 03:28:56 pm »
The shape and size of the head ports are very important. There is a direct relationship between the valve head sizes and the port bore size. There are tables available, such as in Four Stroke Performance Tuning (although probably out dated) which explains the effects etc..

The shaping is important as this aids with the air/fuel swirl effect which helps to create a good mixture flowing into the cylinder.

As hayesey says the smoothness of the walls is not SO important in a forced induction application however on a carbed application super smooth walls can actually collect fuel particles and decrease the mixture. Smoother is not nessisarily (SP?) better!

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 03:39:27 pm »
i wouldn't mind looking at these tables..
its interesting how shape affects performance.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 06:57:46 pm »
My (somewhat limited) understanding is it's not necessarily the shape, but attempting to maintain the same cross sectional area along the length of the runners. Gas flowing is when a flow bench is used during different stages of porting to help determine where to remove material and how much, and also to match them as closely as possible (although I'm not entirely sure how this is done). The aim is not to open them up as much as possible wherever possible, but to keep it uniform. I believe the usual areas that get attention are around the valve guides, the inner radii of the port runners (usually tighter than the outside wall), behind the valves and around the spark plug holes. I think that knowing how much material can be removed from a particular head mostly comes from experience, after grinding through into a water or oil passage once you'll know not to go so far next time! It's a very skillfull and tricky job, as in most places the material thickness can't be measured.

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
My (somewhat limited) understanding is it's not necessarily the shape, but attempting to maintain the same cross sectional area along the length of the runners. Gas flowing is when a flow bench is used during different stages of porting to help determine where to remove material and how much, and also to match them as closely as possible (although I'm not entirely sure how this is done). The aim is not to open them up as much as possible wherever possible, but to keep it uniform. I believe the usual areas that get attention are around the valve guides, the inner radii of the port runners (usually tighter than the outside wall), behind the valves and around the spark plug holes. I think that knowing how much material can be removed from a particular head mostly comes from experience, after grinding through into a water or oil passage once you'll know not to go so far next time! It's a very skillfull and tricky job, as in most places the material thickness can't be measured.

Bang on understanding.

Chap who did my cylinder head told me about the time he went into the water jackets of a lotus carlton head after being asked to 'take it to the limiit' :D
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:37:21 pm by Nick_S »