Author Topic: Non Starter  (Read 5862 times)

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
Non Starter
« on: January 17, 2009, 02:06:27 pm »
Mine wouldn't start yesterday, checked everything and all is how it should be from what I can see.  My mate that does work on my car for me has just come out to have a look at her and he's put it down to the coil pack, not getting the spark, so I'm getting a new one on Monday
Battery has ran flat twice his month so I'm gonna get a new battery at the same time

If the coil pack doesn't do the trick then what else should we be looking at?

Thanks muchly  :)

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Non Starter
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 02:34:14 pm »
could well be th coil  mine packed up and the car wouldnt start either.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 05:59:40 pm »
Apparently a lot of folk use MK4 Coil packs and i`ve heard it said that its better than the MK3 version.

Fred.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 06:17:22 pm »
heard this also .. didn't quite know if it was a mith...

i've known about the golf gti one .. but its said to be as usefull as a new standard one..

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 07:03:36 pm »
check the two fuses next to the ECU. One of mine died and the car wouldnt fire! I had to run 1.5miles home to phone my mate!

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 09:57:46 pm »
the coil i got was the updated version...  you need to use a longer earth strap...i got a longer version of the one originally fitted, off a mk4 polo...it looks exactly the same but is about 50mm longer which keeps the oem look.  the original bolts dont fit well either..the bolts i used where some allen head ones the same as those that hold the boost pipes to the charger i think...the originals are too long and go all the way through the coil...the case is different on a new coil so the bolts stick out hence the need for some different ones...unless of course your happy with sticky out bolts?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 10:26:52 pm »
so if am going to buy a brand new coil  you recommend that a 6n would me a better improvement than  a standard g40 one ?

wat engine is it off or is it the same for coupes all coils are the same?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 09:18:06 am »
the 6n one is the same part you'll get given if you ask for a new g40 one anyway.

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 08:26:50 am »
New coil pack in and now getting the spark that wasn't there before and still won't start (we used different bolts aswell)
Spark plugs, alternator, dizzie and all fuses are fine

Anyone give us any ideas where to look next please?

Offline samg40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 08:51:00 am »
Can you still hear the fuel pump priming? Cant remember if you should still get a spark if your hall sender is knackered.

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2009, 09:00:05 am »
Yeah, everything on that aspect is fine, as far as we can see that is, why we are asking for advice inacse we're missing something. All sparks are getting where they should be and fuel is getting to the injector rail, so the system is pressurised
???
When you crank her over she's just trying to start, though last night there was 3 times where she wouldn't even do that, it was just dead... Nothing. Then 5 minutes later she was back trying to start up again.
Bump start doesn't work either, though it sounds like she's so close when you do that

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2009, 09:40:32 am »
yes i have seen a hall sender failure where there was still a spark but just not happening at the right time!  If anyone remembers Ste from Oldham from a few years ago who had the nice red G40 with an after market front bumper on it?  His did that once...

If you are convinced that the spark is happening at the right time and fuel is getting through then I guess it's time to do a compression test. 

I guess to test for a spark you are removing a plug and holding it to the rocker cover while someone cranks the engine?  Does the spark look good and strong (a nice fat arc) or weak and low powered?  It's easier for the spark to jump outside the engine than inside under pressure and with fuel on them so I have seen it where the plug appears to work on the outside but obviously isn't doing on the inside.  How old are the plugs? 

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2009, 10:16:10 am »
Righty-o

Yes, that's what we did and it was strong.
I wouldn't know unless I checked the receipt history, but they are in good condition and worked OK ???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2009, 10:29:19 am »
it's pretty impossible to tell if a plug is any good by just looking at it though, unless it's damaged.  I've had ones that looked brand new but didn't work.  Anyone nearby you who you could borrow some known to work plugs off? 

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2009, 10:44:51 am »
Yeah, I guess.  Nothing I can do now anyway, my legend of a helper is away now and not back till next week, we'll have to go from there  :'( I'm gonna get my car towed to his lock up today!