Author Topic: Heater Blower motor dead?  (Read 2228 times)

Offline GAF2

• Members
  • serious supercharging
Heater Blower motor dead?
« on: September 02, 2010, 09:16:37 pm »
Hi guys, well i my heater blower motor is dead in all 3 positions, started at the motor and worked back. No volts at motor, No volts at blower switch, switch making and breaking correctly but no feed to it, all fuses ok aswel. Now according to Haynes electrical drawing the feed to the fuse comes from a relay called 'X' contact relief relay? Anyone any ideas where this is or any ideas as to my fault in general. Just suddenly stopped working.

cheers Grant.

Offline gurtbonger

• Members
Re: Heater Blower motor dead?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 03:30:46 pm »
sounds like your resistor (white bar with i think 5 spade connections on it) try running a live from you batery to one of the connections on the resistor if the motor spins then its the resistor! i think there about £13 from vw probably more knowng them.
thanks james

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Re: Heater Blower motor dead?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 05:20:23 pm »
The heater fan should still work on position 3 even if the resistor is dead as it is completely bypassed in this position, effectively giving the full 12V to the fan.  The X contact relief relay allows the ignition switch contact to power lots of high current stuff without burning out. I'm not sure where this is located. Look on the Haynes diagram for other things that come off this (possibly fag lighter, rear heated window etc.) they should have stopped working as well. Problem may be the relay or the ignition switch itself. If the other things on the X contact relief relay are still working it suggests a wire has broken to the fan.