Technical > Engine and Transmission

Doing a g40 headgasket - do it right! options

(1/2) > >>

PeteG40:
Seeing as some parts places list all 1.3 polo mk3 headgaskets and bolts as the same (when they aren't) and G40 stuff is partly or wholely obsolete at the dealer I thought i'd offer a post to clear up a few things.

1.  Stock head gasket is G40 specific, no idea why but it is.  Elring do one - which appears g40 specific - ELRING 422.190. About £35
They also do a engine gasket set - ELRING 495.950 (but this only comes with 7mm stem seals - most g's will be 8mm)

2.  Stock head bolts - G40 1991-94 are specific.  There a M11x98mm and 10.9 grade.  (many manufacturers including list normal polo head bolts to fit - these are m11x96mm and 8.8 strength and are used on mk2gtg40s and g60s amongst others).  The only place i can find with the right head bolts is BGA BK4398. (not cheap - about £35 a set)

Other options is as follows

1. Metal headgasket (needs to be a smooth block surface) - vw part number equiv 030103383AH  which is used on mk4 polo 8v 1.4 and 1.6 and can be had from euro car parts or gsf.  This also increases compression too, so not ideal if you've got an uber skimmed head and decked block. These are about £15

2. normal headbolts - quote from a mk3 1.3cl - these are m11x96mm 8.8 tensile strength - expect to pay £1 a bolt.

(Hayesey does use the latter two in his 190bhp turbo 1272cc trackday thing - so its a usable alternative)

Max rpm/ Bartek do list g40 headbolts. But as they are for g60s too, I fully expect them to be the same as 1.3cl polo - the m11x96mm and 8.8 tensile strength.

Pete

Andy:
Bartek ones are normal Polo CL type headbolts.

I'm a pikey and run a GSF metal gasket and stock Polo bolts.

Alexiskayak_7:
1. Metal headgasket (needs to be a smooth block surface) - vw part number equiv 030103383AH  which is used on mk4 polo 8v 1.4 and 1.6 and can be had from euro car parts or gsf.  This also increases (you want to say) compression too, so not ideal if you've got an uber skimmed head and decked block. These are about £15

PeteG40:
Amended cheers

djtez:
Seeing as the G40 bolts are 98mm.. would there be any problems using them on a g40 head which has been skimmed (possibly a couple of times) and a metal head gasket replacement.

i intended using the Metal one ... a should note this is also for G60 charger conversion.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version